What's new

Found on 11-07-08 on what was once farm land in South Carolina

Dirt Dective

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina via New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV
I dug this object on what used to be farmland in South Carolina. I have no idea what it is, but my sons seem to think that it is some sort of tool handle or might go on the top of a fence post and wire would pass through it. It measures 3 5/8" x 3/4" and weighs 90.72 g or 3.2 oz. More recent research guesses are it mounts on a pole for reaching a slot to turn a machine on or off, or a decorative piece from a fancy horse drawn carriage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jerry
 

Attachments

  • 100_3287.webp
    100_3287.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 546
  • 100_3288.webp
    100_3288.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 543
  • 100_3289.webp
    100_3289.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 542
  • 100_3290.webp
    100_3290.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 532
  • 100_3291.webp
    100_3291.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 525
Looks like a flag topper to me.

Brian
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a whiffletree tip, which is part of the hookup for a horse drawn carriage. I could be wrong, but nice find!
 
Upvote 0
i think it has a square hole that a pole is inserted into. being square will keep it from spinning on the pole. then the top (small loop) is hooked over the crank of an awning or other kind of roll top device like a tarp for a grain trailer.
 
Upvote 0
cheese said:
I think it's a whiffletree tip, which is part of the hookup for a horse drawn carriage. I could be wrong, but nice find!

Agree. It's a pole end from a whiffletree or singletree set up.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Here's one in an 1895 Montgomery Ward catalogue
 

Attachments

  • nov_2008.webp
    nov_2008.webp
    44 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0
Re: Found on 11-07-08 on what was once farm land in South Carolina- Solved

A big THANK YOU goes to mojjax for nailing this one with a graphic of the object I found. Thanks to all the other member posts that help narrow down the search. I'm convinced the object is a whiffletree tip. Mojjax's copy of an 1895 Montgomery Ward catalogue shows the item and the measurements jive. The one I found is probably the more utilitarian type and not silver plated. I'm satisfied in calling this one SOLVED. Thanks again to all.

Jerry
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom