What's new

Found on the Colorado River, TX a couple months ago, what ya think???

abarnard

Full Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
First off this is the only piece that I have like this, and the only one I think I will find like this. One, I know it has been worked by an Indian. Two, I think it's a chopper of some sort. It's really interesting in that it has three strikes along one side of the coble to make the work end like a cleaver. It fits perfect in the hand, and on the other side there has been an area of the coble that has been chipped out and then smoothed for the thumb for better grip. I could use this today to split bones or chop at wood. I think it is an early piece... If you guys have anything similar to this one let me know and please post similar pics. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting.
 

Attachments

  • cob1.webp
    cob1.webp
    11.1 KB · Views: 481
  • cob2.webp
    cob2.webp
    9.6 KB · Views: 479
  • cob3.webp
    cob3.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 623
  • cob4.webp
    cob4.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 477
  • cob5.webp
    cob5.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 456
Upvote 0
IMO, It might have been "checked" or tested for knapping. I've found spals similar to yours that for one reason or another they never continued working it. It might have been a smasher as you've stated.
Newt
 
I think it might be that, assuming it's deliberately (rather than naturally) this way, what they wanted was the flakes they removed from it rather than to use it for something.

It's possible also that this is what's called a "tested rock" -- one with a few chips removed to see what it was like inside.

If it had been a chopping tool (even a one hastily knocked out), it would more likely have had an edge worked into it with the removals converging. These removals are side-by-side.
 
Yep, the first thing I thought was the coble was being tested b/c I found it near a quarry site along with other tested coble, but it was different to me. I am not sure, maybe it was used as a cleaver or chopper, who knows. All I know is that it's got a good fit in the hand. When you find something like this, it's a big "I don't know, ???", then all of a sudden your imagination starts to fill with all these wonderful uses it could have served for different purposes, hahahha. Thanks for your opinions ya'll keep em coming if ya have anyhting to add.
 
Yep they were testing it. What section of the Colorado did you find it on, I found several large flint nodules the other day south of Marble Falls.
 
i dont think the back side is worked for grip just natural.it is worked on other side
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom