Found the Absolute Deepest Coin the Vanquish 540 is Capable Of

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seldom, if ever, can a person figure out the maximum depth of any detector. I have hunted one particular spot for the last four years and have found a dozen silver coins and double that amount in wheats. It is 60 foot long flat spot at the bottom of a steep hill. Up until today, I have found the coins described with an SE Pro and the Anfibio Multi. These coins are all at least 9 inches deep.

Today, I took the 540 to this park and had a nice morning finding all sorts of clad, along with some deep jewelery. I decided to make one pass along the bottom of this hill. I had already made up my mind to dig every signal that was deep. I have hit this spot hard and thoroughly with the two detectors I mentioned. I know that deep coins are routinely missed and since I have slowly gridded this place, I really figured that the coins I could reach were all but gone. I have no doubt that there are many more deeper than the ones I have found.

About half way down my first pass, I got a very slight and I mean slight squeak with no numbers. I knew it was deep so I checked it in all metal. Still no numbers but the signal cleaned up and repeated slightly. I had a cleaned out hole that was 9 inches deep and I was hitting it with my Garrett Carrot. I knew it would be a coin and it was. Not silver, but a 1920 wheat that was 10 inches deep.

If I was hunting another spot, I would not have dug the signal. Since I knew something about this spot, I dug it. Again, this is my ground, with a spot I have had a good history with. But, it is very seldom that a person could do this type of digging experiment. It is a testimony to the Vanquish 540's abilities and reaffirms my opinion of this reasonably priced detector.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely, if you are in an area known to produce good finds, digging sketchy, no VDI signals is mandatory if you want to dig to the detectors true limits, regardless of the machine. Hell, I learned that with the Ace 250 15 years ago.

This is where field time and motivation really shines, vs the average guy who just wants to clean up and cherry pick easy finds with minimal effort.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes!! I have some sites like that. I know there are more coins but trying to coax a beep is almost impossible. Plus some have heavy square nails and a carpet of iron. When you can eek out a signal its good stuff. I used these tactics at the city park skipping anything shallow and only looking for deep targets and walked with large cents, Indians, Seated and Barbers in with iron. Good fun. Sometimes I lose them when I've taken dirt out of the hole and the pointer is all the way in and you still can't get a fix on them. Often the signal is a mid range, then nothing on a few passes and rings up as iron on a few but if I can get a few midrange noises and can't hit it hard in pinpoint its going to get dug. Its funny how at the edge of detection the machines think they're iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread