found these being thrown out

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I have mentioned on another thread that I do foreclosure home inspections for a bunch of banks. We get the orders also to do the cleanouts. These were being taken to the trash when I arrived to take pics of the house. They were in an old suitcase and the newspaper wrapping it was from 1981. I find tons of stuff each week. I really dont have the time to mess with it because I do an average of 60+ inspections a day, thats the sad part.
I will get some pics together of things I find that are going to the dump, My question on these are they collectable? thanks

DSC09354.jpg

DSC09353.jpg

DSC09352.jpg

DSC09351.jpg

DSC09350.jpg

DSC09349.jpg

DSC09348.jpg

DSC09347.jpg

DSC09346.jpg

DSC09345.jpg

DSC09344.jpg

DSC09343.jpg

DSC09340.jpg

DSC09339.jpg

DSC09338.jpg

DSC09337.jpg

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
The goblet(?) with the grapes on it is a modern repro of carnival glass that isn't worth much if anything.. some of your cups I believe may hold some value an the rest of the stuff I am not sure of...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
The goblet(?) with the grapes on it is a modern repro of carnival glass that isn't worth much if anything.. some of your cups I believe may hold some value an the rest of the stuff I am not sure of...
I wouldn't exactly call it a "repro" since it isn't actually copied or re-issued from an earlier pattern or maker. It is however a modern contemporary piece made by the Indiana Glass Co., Harvest Grape pattern in "Iridescent Gold" or more familiarly known as Marigold color. This particular color was introduced in 1974. Value is not that much as stated, but they typically list for $5-7 dollars.

As for the rest of the stuff, none of it is worth writing home about. All worth a few bucks each. The mini tea set may get you $5-10, probably dates to around the late 40s- early 50's, the company went bankrupt in 1955. I believe the W.S. George pieces are the oldest according to what i've found the first 2 numbers are supposedly the year it was produced and the "A" is supposed to be the plant number, they operated 4 Plants, the third number? who knows?. Too bad it wasn't the Hopalong Cassidy Chuckwagon Set they produced in the late 1940's and early 1950's. All in all nothing special for the rest. I wouldn't throw it out though, donate it or have a yard sale.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
I wouldn't exactly call it a "repro" since it isn't actually copied or re-issued from an earlier pattern or maker. It is however a modern contemporary piece made by the Indiana Glass Co., Harvest Grape pattern in "Iridescent Gold" or more familiarly known as Marigold color. This particular color was introduced in 1974. Value is not that much as stated, but they typically list for $5-7 dollars.

As for the rest of the stuff, none of it is worth writing home about. All worth a few bucks each. The mini tea set may get you $5-10, probably dates to around the late 40s- early 50's, the company went bankrupt in 1955. I believe the W.S. George pieces are the oldest according to what i've found the first 2 numbers are supposedly the year it was produced and the "A" is supposed to be the plant number, they operated 4 Plants, the third number? who knows?. Too bad it wasn't the Hopalong Cassidy Chuckwagon Set they produced in the late 1940's and early 1950's. All in all nothing special for the rest. I wouldn't throw it out though, donate it or have a yard sale.
Repro as in repro to look like carnival glass not a per say a pattern

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:

It is still considered carnival glass, just contemporary and of course not worth what the older glass is worth. It is NOT reproduction. Carnival glass only got that name because it was SOMETIMES given away as prizes at fairs, carnivals and such. Indiana Glass does have a following. I just sold a piece for $40.00 a couple weeks back. I have sold other pieces of old carnival for several hundred as well. Just because something is not old does not make it a fake.

OP
OP
centfladigger

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
thanks for your help and information, I see way too much and dont always have time to pick and chose. Learning new stuff everyday :icon_thumright:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:

It is still considered carnival glass, just contemporary and of course not worth what the older glass is worth. It is NOT reproduction. Carnival glass only got that name because it was SOMETIMES given away as prizes at fairs, carnivals and such. Indiana Glass does have a following. I just sold a piece for $40.00 a couple weeks back. I have sold other pieces of old carnival for several hundred as well. Just because something is not old does not make it a fake.
it was made to look old ... you have your ideal what is an I have mine everyone in my area calls it repro carnival glass.. I was posting on here to help the poster out not argue about what a peice is or isn't.. I been antquing since 1997 .. I know what or what not alot of things are... I am not sayin what you wrote is wrong ... it is just not what it is called up here...

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly.. anything marked with Crown Ducal Ware and of a good period can be very very collectable. Certainly worth a valuation.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:

it was made to look old ... you have your ideal what is an I have mine everyone in my area calls it repro carnival glass.. I was posting on here to help the poster out not argue about what a peice is or isn't.. I been antquing since 1997 .. I know what or what not alot of things are... I am not sayin what you wrote is wrong ... it is just not what it is called up here...
I'm not gonna argue either. It is not "made to look old", it is what it is, modern contemporary carnival glass, anyone that knows glass can tell that from a mile away. Just flip it over and look at the underside and I guarantee that it is also iridized, as well as the almost shiny, gaudy looking irridescence in the glass itself. Old carnival doesn't look a thing like that. It is much more subtle. Been collecting for many years. I'm here to make sure the correct ID is made and help out centfladigger. Have a good one.

Unicorn said:
Certainly.. anything marked with Crown Ducal Ware and of a good period can be very very collectable. Certainly worth a valuation.
I agree it is a very eye catching and colorful piece. The Crown Ducal printed black mark was used from 1925 and on so it is an early stamp. Still with only 1 demitasse cup, it's only gonna bring a few dollars at best.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:
diggummup said:
creeper71 said:

I'm not gonna argue either. It is not "made to look old", it is what it is, modern contemporary carnival glass, anyone that knows glass can tell that from a mile away. Just flip it over and look at the underside and I guarantee that it is also iridized, as well as the almost shiny, gaudy looking irridescence in the glass itself. Old carnival doesn't look a thing like that. It is much more subtle. Been collecting for many years. I'm here to make sure the correct ID is made and help out centfladigger. Have a good one.

Unicorn said:
I am speaking about to the untrained eye who looks at it an think it is old carnival glass the modern peacock/ blue is more trickier to the untrained eye then the orange.... I agree us 2 would no the difference but someone that has no clue what they are looking at will think it is old an is carnival glass from the 30's-40's....... that is what I have been trying to say all along.. you are think I have no clue what it is an tryin to educate me to help me thank you but that isn't what I meant you misunderstood me ,cause I am not good at explaining things alot of the time..... I was speaking in terms of people that have no clue about glass... btw what your writing is correct I was just replying to say I was speaking about people with untrained eyes for glass..

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Limoge plate that K-S 220 is resell for 35 to 50 bucks apiece all day long

The Royal Windsor and the Crown Ducal cup and saucer resell for 10-12 bucks.

There are companies that will buy them from you for a reduced price. A lot of people break a plate or cup
and are always looking for replacements.

If you can't be bothered with them find a friend and a shotgun and "PULL" :laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeep said:
The Limoge plate that K-S 220 is resell for 35 to 50 bucks apiece all day long
Could you please show an example of a recent sale for this item?
IMO- You'd be lucky to get that for the 4 plates and 3 bowls as a lot.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/LIABOU.htm Replacements.com is the absolute highest priced place to buy replacement pieces and they don't show a price for the 7 1/4 salad plates or 6 1/8 cereal bowls (which judging from the sizes without a reference, i'm guessing that is what they are).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread