What's new

✅ SOLVED Found this at a military Indian Wars site

Mason Jarr

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2012
Messages
517
Reaction score
1,912
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab E-trac
Minelab Equinox 80
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any ideas on what this might be? I'm thinking a saber hanger, but not sure. I don't have a tape measure with me so I used a quarter for scale.
 

Attachments

  • 20210420_143946.webp
    20210420_143946.webp
    440.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210420_144007.webp
    20210420_144007.webp
    398.1 KB · Views: 67
A friend ID'd it as a musket sling hook.
 
Upvote 0
Yes, that's I've been told they are also. Nice find, I don't think I've ever found one of those.
 
Upvote 0
Isn't anybody paying attention to the US quarter-dollar coin showing the brass hook-shaped object is at least 3.5-inches long? That's much longer than a musket/rifle sling adjuster-hook.

This 3.5"-long hook, with two rivets for attachment, could be from a US M-1851 swordbelt. (See the photo below.) But since the digger says it was found at an Indian Wars Era military site, if is more likely to be from a Model-1876 swordbelt. That being said... the shape of the curved hook on his find looks like what we see in the M-1851 photo.
 

Attachments

  • swordbelt_straphook_M1851US-swordbelt_ebay_2a52_12.webp
    swordbelt_straphook_M1851US-swordbelt_ebay_2a52_12.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Isn't anybody paying attention to the US quarter-dollar coin showing the brass hook-shaped object is at least 3.5-inches long? That's much longer than a musket/rifle sling adjuster-hook.

This 3.5"-long hook, with two rivets for attachment, could be from a US M-1851 swordbelt. (See the photo below.) But since the digger says it was found at an Indian Wars Era military site, if is more likely to be from a Model-1876 swordbelt. That being said... the shape of the curved hook on his find looks like what we see in the M-1851 photo.


Thanks for the reply. When I said "Indian Wars" I should have been more specific. This site was from the Snake Indian War (Shoshone/Paiute) and was used in the late 1860s. So the 1851 model is probably accurate.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
577
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
556
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Spur ID
Replies
8
Views
752

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom