Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today. I think it's some sort of really old token. I'm not sure though. It is pretty thick as you can see and it feels like lead but, isn't lead like a lighter color? From what I can read of it I think it say's Louisville KY on the front and all I can read in the back is CO. ANY IDEAS AT ALL? I cant find anything on it. THANKS!!

Attachments

• hannahs sell 063.jpg
    hannahs sell 063.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 887
  • hannahs sell 064.jpg
    hannahs sell 064.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 882
  • hannahs sell 062.jpg
    hannahs sell 062.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0
How does that work? And how old is it? THANKS GUYS!!

olekyground said:

Oh and also is it worth anything?

Lead grain sack seal. Agricultural. I find them all over the fields of Kentucky. Not worth anything ... unless you make your own fishing jigs. :laughing9:

Kinda looks like a lead seal used on gas meters.
I recall pulling a few off when I didn't know better.

still a find, future hunting buddy!

8) nice bale seal :wink: keep pluggin' away , it's only a matter of time before you land a BIG fish :laughing7: dawg

olekyground said:

Oleky, It also could be a railroad cargo seal. Clean it up a little and see if any of the lettering on either side looks like the initials of a railroad company. Usually there will be an RR, as in SOU - RR or CG-RR or NS-RR, or R&D-R-R. If it is the other side will have the initials of the station agent that applied the seal. The KY on your seal is in the place that the station agent's initials normally would show up. Since you are in KY it is obviously local. It still could be a RR seal and the initials on the other side would tell the tale.

How it works? Ok, it is a lead disk that has two little holes in it. A wire is passed through one hole and then through a loop on a hasp or railroad car door latch. If a bag seal the wire would go around the closed top of the bag. Then the wire goes through the other hole in the lead seal. Wire forming a loop and is tightened firmly around the bag or just loose in a hasp or door latch.

The person applying the seal has a tool like a fancy pair of pliers. The jaws of it holds disks with the lettering engraved in them backwards. You clamp the lead in the sealing tool and crush it on the wire passing through the holes. This impresses the lettering into the seal and clamps the lead onto the wire.

To get in the rail car or open the top of the bag you have to cut the wire or destroy the lead seal. Either way a person on the receiving end of the shipment can tell if someone has opened the car door or opened the top of the bag and tampered with the contents.

If it is a railroad seal it may have some value to collectors of RR memorabilia. If it is from the Civil War era it can be considered a CW artifact. If it is from a Confederate operated RR then you got something neat.

I have attached a photo of a Richmond and Danville Rail Road seal that my hunting partner found on what we think is a CW skirmish site in a nearby county. The Richmond and Danville was the main railroad used by the Confederate Army to move goods and troops from the Capital to the armies deployed in the south.

Attachments

• Jim\'s-Lead-Seal-2.jpg
    Jim\'s-Lead-Seal-2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 579

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back