found this today

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think this station is in the original spot where it was built but its in the middle of a farm and packing house operation. It was built in 1913 and even the tracks are gone around it. Do you think its worth getting permission to hunt ?

Attachments

• Lone_Star_Depot_with_ATSF_999362.jpg
    Lone_Star_Depot_with_ATSF_999362.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 352

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If it was used for passenger service, then yes, I'd try it. But if it was freight only (or freight "primarily"), then it would probably be no better than any other industrial concern. Looking at a CA map under googling "Lone Star depot", I see that area is just row crops now. I also see that the place is for sale, right? If, as you say, it was built in 1913, that was the beggining of the era when teensy passenger "whistle stops" were starting to be consolidated. Ie.: you go to the "nearest town" to catch a train, once we get into the age of autos. So yours may be only a freight concern.

Looks like a paved road right in the front of it, but you're saying it's in "the middle of a ranch"?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Depending on which carrier operated there, it's possible that you could hit a nice shipping tag or something like that. If you get the chance by all means hit and don't mind the iron. Good luck!

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea i accidentally saw this driving by. It sits a little ways off the road and yes its for sale. Theres not much on it but from what i can tell it was used for freight.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Looks like a great place to detect. I found my first 1800's coin at an old train station. It was an 1894 quarter.

Attachments

• 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 94.jpg
    94.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 249

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
AA,

I would try to get permission to hunt it, regardless of what activities went on at the station. Folks lose things and this site is no different. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The voices told me that. :icon_sunny: :tongue3:

Ray S

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray S ECenFL said:
AA,

I would try to get permission to hunt it, regardless of what activities went on at the station. Folks lose things and this site is no different. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ray S
I agree , And Ray do you want to borrow one of my aluminum hats. I always keep an exter one around. ;D

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
That station was a passenger/freight station. If it was freight only, chances are pretty good the platform would sit higher. As it is it's at track level and there are doors on both sides of the bay windows. I'm guessing the side on the right was the waiting room.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We worked a, "freight" station this past fall. Man, tons of junk and nothing else. But...you never know if you don't try it.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Roadquest said:
Ray S ECenFL said:
AA,

Ray S
I agree , And Ray do you want to borrow one of my aluminum hats. I always keep an exter one around. ;D

No thanks, I have one of my own.......LOL

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread