Found this under a cliff behind a waterfall.

Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20131224_180157.jpg
    20131224_180157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit of lead. Can you scratch it with your fingernail. Pure lead is that soft.

Upvote 0

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that stuff all the time. Most of it around old burn pits, I think its pot metal that melted in a fire but don't know for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fairly flat.... not completely. And as far as fire pit, Noone has been in area in awhile...it's private property

Attachments

• 20131224_211957.jpg
    20131224_211957.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make sense where I'm at. I live in what we call "post rock country". When the area was settled there weren't enough trees to make fence posts so all the farmers quarried limestone for posts to fence in their fields. A lot of old churches and bridges were built with limestone also. (Gorgeous structures) There is literally megatons of limestone here.

Upvote 0

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks sorta like a piece of melted aluminum...d2

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P
Dec 1, 2013
clintwood va.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my first thought. But you can't scratch it nor bend the thin edges. I took a knife to see if I could put a pressure mark on it and I couldn't.

Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a jewelry store or a pawn shop and have them test it. That'll eliminate silver & platinum. If you have a lapidary store or rockhound club they should be able to give you a hand determining whether it's a Leaverite or a keeper.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That would make sense where I'm at. I live in what we call "post rock country". When the area was settled there weren't enough trees to make fence posts so all the farmers quarried limestone for posts to fence in their fields. A lot of old churches and bridges were built with limestone also. (Gorgeous structures) There is literally megatons of limestone here.

I know what you mean! While there are plenty of trees here, many of the old settlers used the rocks for fencing as well or walls around the perimeter of their' homes. There are also large Limestone rocks and layers exposed by errosion that have fairly large pieces of Magnesium Ore sticking out of them. You know that they are Magnesium because while the Limestone erodes away from rain, wind and runoff, the Magnesium doesn't erode and becomes more and more visible. The area that I live in sits over top one of the largest Magnesium Mines in the Country. It is like a large open city within the Mine and they drive large Dump Trucks and Dump Tractor-Trailer Trucks right under most of the homes. This has always worried me as when I lived in West Virginia, we could purchase Mine Subsidence Insurance but here they don't even know what that is, you can't purchase the Insurance because it is only offered through the Federal Government and must be made available to the Insurance companies via some sort of legislation.

Frank

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread