What's new

Found three today, now what to do? Coin "Biscuits"

smokeythecat

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2012
Messages
20,926
Reaction score
41,158
Golden Thread
10
Location
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
10
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was at Ocean City, MD, the beach is VERY CLEAN. But I found a spot with some old coins. One was a 1939 wheatie, the others have to be cleaned. I have several "coins" of unknown origin that are like little "biscuits" They are encased in sand and stuff and its hard like concrete. What's the best way to free them?
 
Upvote 4
What do you think? Put them in a tumbler for a bit?
 
I was there last week for teachers convention and the vet parade. THE BEACH IS VERY CLEAN INDEED
 
I wouldn't tumble them as there may be a good coin with them. If they are copper coins then I would heat up peroxide in the micro and drop the coins in. let them bubble and when they stop, try using a toothpick to remove some of the encrustation. That would be my first try. If that doesn't work, try soaking them olive oil for a few days and then try the toothpick. Good luck.
 
I take each and crush the cookie part with a set of pliers, it does not affect the coins condition. Then cook them with electrolyzes if needed.. The silver I rub with baking soda.. Some I never take the cookie off just to show how bad they can be before cleaning... OBN0346.webp
 
Congrats on the Wheat Penny.
Any coin, especially clad, laying on a salty beach, is going to become encrusted in salt and sand. I'll bet the majority of them are Zincolns.
 
I have three in question. I think 1 may be silver, but don't know yet. (I also have to figure out where I STUCK them last night when I got in....)

The one in particular is almost as thick as it is round. Almost.

FOUND THEM! In the washer. Anyway, still have three "cookies", but the 39 cleaned up nice. Other identifiable coin is a French 1952 10 Francs coin, two clad quarters two clad dimes, three zincolns and a just dropped nickel.

Also found an arrowhead and a fossil turtle (3" long) plus some sea glass. About 30 pieces including 2 small (1/2" size) cobalt blue pieces. Glass was found north in Delaware.
 
Last edited:
Warm distilled water takes the crust off the coppers I find in sandy conditions.
 
Some cob coins look like biscuits. We would gently hit them on their edge and the 'caking' would come off exposing the shiny coin. The 'caking' was, of course, silver oxide. There's a certain beach in Mexico that has these 'biscuits'; the people who walk on them have no knowledge of what is under their feet.
Don.....
 
I squeezed one on the edge, it broke in half revealing a Lincoln copper cent, the biggest one broke clear in half it was either a very old us dimes or a 1 reale, no device is left on it.
 
My experience is with cob coin 'biscuits'.
Sometimes the coin that remained after gently busting the 'biscuit' in half would be a very thin coin we called a 'razor' for the obvious reason.
Don...
 
Out may be a reale. Ill try more cleaning later.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom