What's new

Free detector for me!

GL

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
1,601
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Central, NC
A very nice lady I did some work for let me have the metal detector she had in the corner of her garage. It's a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I have no idea if that is a good one but it's as good as gold to me.
Now I can hunt my old homestead and post pictures of all the rusty stuff I find! Just like YOU GUYS DO!
I am stoked. I will begin tomorrow after work on the garden area again. That's where my daughter found the Morgan and the V nickle.

This detector beeps a lot. The batteries are new and it beeps randomly even when pointed up. Tap it and it beeps. Do I need to Cold Heat something inside it?
 
Maybe the battery connections are loose? If its a nine volt setup, try shimming the batteries with a piece of cardboard to get a better connection. If its the double AA's, maybe bend the prongs out carefully so they make better contact and don't rattle around so much.

Try searching online for an owners manual, too. Wealth of info in them owners manuals! ;D

best of luck out there!
 
Hi GL, sent you an email, if you reply I can send you a manual for the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (via email).
 
I can`t believe that you could go this long without a detector. I remember when you posted your daughters finds. I would have found a detector the next day! It looks like you have a hotspot there. I know you are going to find some cool stuff, have fun and good luck :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations! I hope you find tons of good stuff!!
 
I have an old bounty hunter that does that. Sometimes it works well, other times it just beeps like nuts no matter what you do. I've opened it up to look for loose solders, and resoldered a few joints, put it back together and it worked a little while and then went back to jibberish. Oh-well. You might open yours up and have a look at the board.
 
Check the coil wire connection. May need to clean up the contacts a little.
Good Luck.
Mark
 
When I unplug the coil it beeps still. I have taken it apart and the wires are all soldered nicely and none are rubbing each other. There is no visible reason why it should be beeping like it is. When you shake it, it beeps.

Annoying. I am beginning to think I am not supposed to be MDing my yard. This one still had all the stickers on it! It was essentially unused with no scratches on the underside of the coil or anything.
 
How is the coil wire run from the machine to the coil? Is it slapping against the extension rods? If so Tie them to the shafts with cable ties or tape them there. Also, if the coil wire is too close to the coil, you could have probs there too, pull it back a little and secure it to the shaft. Good Luck!.....NGE (T)
 
Even if I disconnect the coil it still beeps.
Otherwise I spiral the cable up the detector shaft to the computer box.
 
HMMM, check your settings, disc at about 1 oclock, sens to 3 oclock. also clean the dust of and out of all areas. and start with brand new batterys. do a bench test of coins and junk.If it keeps beeping turn down the sens. sometimes the sens and disc buttons get dust in them, buy a can of air used for computers and blow them out very good.
 
It was in the back corner of a garage...that might be it. It appears as new so I don't see why it would be broken.
 
Congratulations! Good luck getting it to work, you could just dig the extra beeps and count it as good exercise. :D
 
Just my two cents. i had a detector do this that I had had for a long time. acting weird, sometimes work great, then acting like you turned it on, turned it off, turned it on... you get the idea. The cause ended up being loose battery clips. the 9 volt style. I gently bent them a little tighter, installed batteries, it has not missed a beat since.

Bob
 
Check the battery in your machine. If it is one of those fancy Heavy Duty ones, try swaping it for a standard alkaline battery. Some times they do not like one type of battey or the other. Good Luck. Dallas
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom