Free Gold from Goodwill!

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Went treasure hunting at the at the local thrifts Saturday, I always check behind the drawers of furniture and I'm glad I did today too! Saw a vintage musical jewelry chest, and thought about buying it for the $6 sticker price. The music works great on it. I could sand out the scratches and staining and paint it flat seafoam green, and distress the paint for that aged look, then resell it for around $60 bucks. I enjoy tinkering with wood furniture.

au1 (1024x768).jpg

It's missing a drawer pull, but I figure I could take the center pull and place it on the missing pull's drawer, then match a wooden knob like the bottom center drawers have.

au2 (1024x768).jpg

Anyway, I pull the drawer out in the store and look back and see this-

au3 (1024x768).jpg

Soooo.... not wanting to take it out and draw attention to myself to see if it's real, I decided to settle anyway on the profit and fun of the chest alone. There were two other pickers cruising just the aisle I was on, so I felt like it was my lucky day. Took it to the counter and drove it home- then pulled out the drawer again on the sidewalk at my house-

au4 (1024x768).jpg

Checked the hallmark- 14K! Also found a gold earring backing, some junk gold plated beads, a junk piece of plastic, and a nice quartz bead.

au5 (768x1024).jpg

24 inch long chain- After trying to weigh it against some modern pennies, I figure it's about 3-4 grams. Not a bad day at all getting a free $100 dollar bill! :hello2:

au6 (1280x979).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 4

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give here the old rick dale
nice

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find! My folks played a prank on me when I was a kid. They bought a cabinet and hit a tin with $642 in it. Of course when they "found" the tin, I was all excited and thoroughly examined the rest of the cabinet. They may have planted the tin, but not the Silver Certificate dollar I found taped to the top of one of the drawers. Not as nice as gold, but I was still happy. Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread