What's new

French Angel Coin 1875

kb242

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello All,

I have a French 1875 50 Franc "Angel Coin". I'm not sure if it is real or a replica. How can you tell the difference? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks, kb
 
and precise weight..
 
hello,

Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I do not have a scale to weigh the coin. The only info I can add to this is my coin has edge lettering on the rim.
I have looked all over the net looking for information. From what I have found, the real 1875 50 Franc (Angel Coin) and the replica look exactly alike.
The replicas are sold on amazon and from the picture, the edge looks ridged like a Washington quarter. My edge lettering says dieu proteg La France and has raised stars on it. However, I am not convinced that this coin is the real thing.
 
Thanks Mackaydon,

I had my son look at it with a magnifying glass. DIEU (then a star) PROTEGE (star) LA (star) FRANCE and then followed by 5 stars. Do the replicas have this ?
 
sorry my mistake it is 20 Franc not 50
 
yes that is my coin except the year is 1875. My confusion lies with the replicas. They look exactly the same. Would a replica have the edge lettering and stars?
 
Thanks Mackaydon,

I will bring it somewhere hopefully this week. Thanks for helping me.
 
Just an update on this coin and special thanks for Mackaydon for answering my post. I had the coin weighed and it is indeed genuine. My husband found it going to work in a parking lot!!! I collect coins so when he found it, he put it in his pocket and when he returned home from work he said "Here you go, I found this. I don't know if it is worth anything" When I first looked at it I noticed the gold tone but not knowing much about foreign coins that didn't mean much ( my daughter has a silver dollar from 1994 that is gold toned). Then I saw the date and I thought, wow I don't think they toned coins way back then.
I went online to research the coin, knowing I had something. My confusion lied with the history of this coin and that is was replicated. After all, what are the odds of finding something like this in a parking lot of all things. It's worth about $325.00

In another interesting note on my day off last week, out of boredom I decided to go through my daughter's bucket of change. I figured at best I would find a couple of wheat pennies if I was lucky. I found two wheats, one 1964 dime and a silver war nickel. Not bad for someone who does not yet have a metal detector.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom