gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
That lip coloration really bothered me, and after closer examination, I see that it is some "stuff" stuck inside the inward-rolled lip of the bottle. The gaffer did not pinch the fold over tightly, so stuff can get in there. I think I'll try to burn it out with a CLR treatment.

Attachments

• inward.JPG
    inward.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 527

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Awesome bottle. :thumbsup: I have six of the but none are O.P. I found a teal green O.P. bottle in the river that has algae in the rolled lip that I haven't been able to get out. It's beautifull bottle except for that so if the CLR works please let me know.
P.S. it's probally some of the dryed up opium medicine that's in the lip of your bottle.

Wolverine.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Use CLR or pool acid or whatever, almost nothing will hurt the glass. (The exception is hydroflouric acid which is the active ingredient in "Whink," the stain-remover.)

Use a rubber stopple from the hardware store (about 39 cents), and set the vial upside down for a month or so.

Some of these rolled lips might respond better if you could pull a vacuum on them while soaking.

Let us know how it works.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, a little CLR and mechanical scraping with a 0.008" diameter stainless steel wire (from a plumbers brush, bent just right) and I am done with it. There is a tiny bit left but it's difficult to see. Wolverine, if your staining is algae, clorox should blast it out easily. Harry, I was lucky on this one, the space was wide enough all around to get a wire into. I can see in some cases this would be almost impossible to clean, if the rolled lip was tight.

Attachments

• 0110 001.jpg
    0110 001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 514
  • lip 002_2.jpg
    lip 002_2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 508
  • lip 006.jpg
    lip 006.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 503
  • lip 001.jpg
    lip 001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 506
  • lip 003.jpg
    lip 003.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 499

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
.I thought about taking a piece of thin copper wire and try to remove it. I went to the river to look for bottles so I didn't get around to it and now after seeing your post I'm going to try it. Your bottle turned out awesome :thumbsup: Thanks for the tip.
P.S. I posted a few bottles on the Michigan site. I don't know how to put a link on this site to post them. I'm going to post bottles on their every week for a while but my next few aren't going to be sometime next week because some nice person gave my computer a virus. My computer is being worked on and I'm using my kids notebook for now. It's not the caliber of bottles you guys are finding but I like them.

Wolverine.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bottle, that's the older version. Here's an old ad that I found. They call it the "Baby Killer", lotta morphine was put in that little bottle.
Carl

Attachments

• Mrs. Winslow\'s.jpg
    Mrs. Winslow\'s.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 465
OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's kinda difficult to understand how our great nation was built up by a populace so doped up on readily available opiates. Kinda reminds me of today's youth culture. Knowing the ingredients of this wonderful remedy makes that ad especially disturbing.

Aw heck! Who am I tryin' to kid? I could use a shot of that crap right about now.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
It's kinda difficult to understand how our great nation was built up by a populace so doped up on readily available opiates. Kinda reminds me of today's youth culture. Knowing the ingredients of this wonderful remedy makes that ad especially disturbing.

Aw heck! Who am I tryin' to kid? I could use a shot of that crap right about now.

Morphine, alcohol, and ammonia, (I believe). Shot of that in the old morning coffee
Mrs. Charlotte N. Winslow, mother-in-law of Jeramiah Curtis, a devoted female physician and nurse studied teething among infants. She compounded a formula for a soothing syrup for children, the ingredients of which consisted of sulphate of morphia, sodium carbonate, spirits of foeniculi, and aqua ammonia. Not surprisingly, this medicine not only "soothed" the child, but relieved the pain of teething or other ailments. First marketed in 1849 as "Mrs. Winslow's Soothing Syrup", the popularity of this medicine climbed to incredible heights under the management of Jeramiah Curtis and Benjamin Perkins, and spawned many imitators.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions