Hi There SHN,
You should use the best machine you can afford, preferably a newer one so you have the current technology to work with. What detector were you using when you found the dime? I've heard good things about the M6 by White's. You can read about all the machines on various treasure sites, Tnet has one and they are listed by brands. You want discrimination and ground balancing available on the machine you get. If its a modern machine from a good brand company you almost can not go wrong.
I worked without a pinpointer for years, I became very good at pinpointing with my detector, used a wooden stick over the center of the coil, would pull the coil away and go straight down with the stick. Use a brass probe as that will Help to not scratch the coins. Now that I have a pinpointer I would not go detecting without it, the Garret pinpointer is VERY good but costly. You will need some sort of digging implement IF you dig plugs. With my brass probe I was able to locate the coin and with effort pull it out at least down to about 5 inches. ALWAYS 1)Ask for permission to detect on private property 2) Fill your holes back up. Metal Detecting is on the verge of being shunned by society due in part to some of us not filling our holes back up.
I second what you've already been told: Read all you can on all websites about detectors, tools, ways of detecting, setting up the machines then, practice, practice, practice, read, practice, etc then ask questions on the various group sites and then don't forget to research, research, research and then when you are out walking/driving/biking/etc. look around what do you see (Big tall trees are a dead giveaway saying "I am Old" dig here, an evergreen shrub or usually two out in a field they mark the driveway that is no longer there or odd/non-native trees tell a story, etc.)
And last but maybe should have been first, go to detector club meetings listen & ask. You should also find one or two folks who will welcome getting together with you to let you try out their machine. You've done something like tha already as you tried out your friends machine that you found the dime with.
If all else fails, read the rest of the Newbie questions that have recently been answered just a few clicks down from yours, good replies.
Okay, go have fun, schools out............63bkpkr