Friday night relic hunt.

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Back to a permission im currently enjoying when I can that is about as isolated and rural as it gets for the North of England.
The draw here is a Roman road ran through the valley and straight across the field I have a permission to hunt.
Having found a 1st century fibula earlier this week I was feeling good about tonight though experience should tell me I never make a great find the next time I go to somewhere I just made a great find.
The rain had stopped and the sun was shining so whatever the outcome I knew I'd enjoy my time.
Took a while for anything interesting to surface and I hadn't a clue what it was at the time but could tell it had a good age to it. I've since identified it as a medieval zoomorphic pouring spout (top left)
I think the animal could be a dog but i could be way out with that.
Thought I'd found a big old penny and got a pleasant surprise to find a trade weight instead. Again I knew it was of a decent age but having given it a clean I can see it is a Charles I or II (mid 17th century)
The lead weight was next. I've no scales but I'm guessing it weighs no more 40 gram tops. No idea of age though.
And lastly near to hedge and gatepost the belt buckle. Has a bird either swan or liver bird. I'm guessing it's early 20th century.
A great few hours all in all, with only a fraction of this place covered. Looking forward to returning as soon as I can escape her indoors once again. (Weekends looking like chores but an early start in morning will get me a few hours local at least)
Happy hunting to all of you this weekend and best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0357.jpg
    IMG_0357.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Bourels.jpg
    Bourels.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Upvote 17

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, had a few of those spouts.
I could immediately see that was an earlier Pan/Trade weight, glad you could see the verification marks.
The homemade Lead Trade Weight is very hard to date, but I would say it looks at least 17th C.
The tongue of that 19th C buckle is a type I've never seen, doesn't look Military, but I think it worthy of research, just in case it is.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to a permission im currently enjoying when I can that is about as isolated and rural as it gets for the North of England.
The draw here is a Roman road ran through the valley and straight across the field I have a permission to hunt.
Having found a 1st century fibula earlier this week I was feeling good about tonight though experience should tell me I never make a great find the next time I go to somewhere I just made a great find.
The rain had stopped and the sun was shining so whatever the outcome I knew I'd enjoy my time.
Took a while for anything interesting to surface and I hadn't a clue what it was at the time but could tell it had a good age to it. I've since identified it as a medieval zoomorphic pouring spout (top left)
I think the animal could be a dog but i could be way out with that.
Thought I'd found a big old penny and got a pleasant surprise to find a trade weight instead. Again I knew it was of a decent age but having given it a clean I can see it is a Charles I or II (mid 17th century)
The lead weight was next. I've no scales but I'm guessing it weighs no more 40 gram tops. No idea of age though.
And lastly near to hedge and gatepost the belt buckle. Has a bird either swan or liver bird. I'm guessing it's early 20th century.
A great few hours all in all, with only a fraction of this place covered. Looking forward to returning as soon as I can escape her indoors once again. (Weekends looking like chores but an early start in morning will get me a few hours local at least)
Happy hunting to all of you this weekend and best of luck.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread