Ohio and Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Started the day by going to the closest emergency care center after a bug flew in my left ear as I drove to the beach to metal detect. No kidding. The darn thing flew in my ear and started to flap it's wings and go deeper and deeper into my ear channel. I wish I was making this up. After filling out all kinds of forms, as the bug buzzed away in my ear, I thought about drowning it, so I went to the water fountain as I waited and waited and flushed my ear for about 5 minutes and the buzzing stopped. Nurse came and got me and took me Room 1. I waited and waited and was loosing a lot of metal detecting time. Since the bug wasn't moving and wasn't buzzing I figured it was dead and I'd deal with it later so I told the receptionist I was leaving and got to the beach 20 minutes later. Glad I did.

Bought a new sand scoop; upgraded from a 6" aluminum scoop that was wired together to THE STEALTH 990iX - a monster that measures 9" across and built like a brick S... H...... The below pic shows my old and new scoops.
20170112_170536.jpg
First chance to try-out the new scoop was Friday 13th and I never pass-up a chance to hit the surf. Had 3 hrs in the surf, that was flat as glass, and the new scoop did not disappoint. What was often 2-3 scoops to recover a target became 1-2 scoops. In addition, I didn't have any of those episodes where I try and try to recover a target and, after forever, give-up (prob a pull-tab). After only 45 minutes in the 3ft surf and along the trench I got this beautiful sharp signal - GOLD. The 14k size 7 or so Men's wedding ring sure looked pretty in my new Stealth scoop.
20170113_163741.jpg
As for the Stealth 990ix, I am pleased with the function of the scoop in water. However, the scoop is not for everyone since it is so large. It is large but it does handle well in water and compared to my old aluminum scoop there is no comparison. Also, combination of large scoop and wood handle balance well in the water and the handle is somewhat boyant; unlike my aluminum scoop that immediately sank to the bottom. But, on dry sand, I don't see the need for such a large scoop and a smaller scoop would do the trick for most dry sand animals (i.e., those with single VLF machines).

In addition to the gold wedding ring, I found 12 coins bringing my total coin count for the year to 170 coins. Thus, 170 coins/gold piece. My historic swinging average is 250-300 coins/gold piece...it would be nice to keep up this pace since it needs to pay for my Stealth scoop. Perhaps Friday the 13th isn't so bad after all.

Upvote 12
OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Friday 14th, No bug sounds but I do have some pressure (via dead body) in the left ear. Stilling trying to wash it out...The good news it is dead. Bad news, it might have been pregnant! (Hope not)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember a long long time ago I think a Twilight Zone episode where a fellow had a bug crawl in his ear and eat its' way through the guys brain. It went out the other ear, but then the doctor said he was sorry, but the bug laid eggs in his brain.....

But don't worry. That's not going to happen to you!

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was starting to wonder why my right ear is tingling...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet gold! :icon_thumright:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try a shop vac?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice gold ring! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest: