North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friday's Finds: Relics, deer, and me lost! @@

Just returned from a little getaway with the family to the NC mountains. It's just beautiful up there, and we didn't want to come back. :'(

These are my measly finds from the farm on Friday that I am finally posting.
Not only did I get lost for awhile out in the woods, but I also found a fairly fresh dead 8 point Buck (days old?) that some hunter shot in the a$$ with an arrow and left in the woods to die. I'm assuming the deer ran, and they never found it. At least that's what I'm hoping happened. I hope it wasn't just target practice! What a horrible sight to see. I pulled the arrow out and stuck it on their tree stand.

My only decent find was a musketball which was just down the hill from the cannonball chunk I found last week. Any idea why there would be a round ring looking indent on the musketball? (see picture)

Other woods finds were:
Lead pieces,
Old piece of a shoe,
Pocket knife,
Harmonica reeds,
Buckle (?).

Nothing too exciting. I'll try harder this week. ;D
Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 404
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 404
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 411
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 398
  • MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 352
  • MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0
Re: Friday's Finds: Relics, deer, and me lost! @@

Nice job on the lead MM...The buckle is actually a part of a tractor "belt"(all linked together).Have to put this in here also....If you plan on taking a shot at a deer make sure it count's...If you're not sure of the hit make every possible effort to retrieve the animal....That's the least you can do.Thank's for posting the reminder on the treestand....Glad you got out MM!!HH!!

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Good Deed Done MM...

I am a bow hunter and yes they can get away...SORRY MY FRIEND... :-\

Good Digs on the musketball...SWEET... ;D

Nick

Nick,
I know this sounds sick, but how do I get the antlers off that deer? I hate to just see it rot away. I would love to make something out of the antlers. Do they just snap off at the base?
I found a rack in the woods just last week, and it looks like they just came off at the base.
Let me know. As you can see, I'm a fisherman, not a hunter. ;D
Thanks,
MM

civilman1 said:
Nice job on the lead MM...The buckle is actually a part of a tractor "belt"(all linked together).Have to put this in here also....If you plan on taking a shot at a deer make sure it count's...If you're not sure of the hit make every possible effort to retrieve the animal....That's the least you can do.Thank's for posting the reminder on the treestand....Glad you got out MM!!HH!!

Thanks Civil.
I ran into two tree stands when I was out in the woods. I had on a white t-shirt, but I better get a bright orange vest. I kept flipping the toggle on my Tesoro battery check once in awhile just so it would ring out in the woods to let any hunters know I was out there too. It gave me a little sense of security at least. ;D
-MM-

The best way is just to use a saw. Almost any saw will do. They sell a folding saw used for branches that works good but a hacksaw will do the job too. Depending on what you want to use them for you can cut off the top of the skull and keep them together. I know it sounds nasty but the bone is thin and will cut easy.
Not all bow hunters are like the one that left that deer. Most of us will not easily give up on a wounded animal and would not have taken the shot that you described.
Good finds in the woods.

MM...If you want to save the antlers as a set, cut the top of the skull off with a saw.Otherwise, cut each off just under the pedicle or bulge at the base of the antler.The ones you found were probably sheds dropped in the spring when the antler separates from the pedicle.This time of year they will be securely attatched and difficult to "snap off".

Timbers said:
The best way is just to use a saw. Almost any saw will do. They sell a folding saw used for branches that works good but a hacksaw will do the job too. Depending on what you want to use them for you can cut off the top of the skull and keep them together. I know it sounds nasty but the bone is thin and will cut easy.
Not all bow hunters are like the one that left that deer. Most of us will not easily give up on a wounded animal and would not have taken the shot that you described.
Good finds in the woods.

I forgot that I had taken a few pictures with my cell phone. I just posted them above.
Is the arrow in that location considered a GOOD hit?
-MM-

ModernMiner said:
Timbers said:
Good finds in the woods.

I forgot that I had taken a few pictures with my cell phone. I just posted them above.
Is the arrow in that location considered a GOOD hit?
-MM-
Naw that looked like someone that couldnt shoot or either got what we call buck fever and got to shaken so much he hit the deer in the A$$ and that why it ran for who knows how long or far even with a .270 shot there they will still run a long damn ways,and the easiest "non-messy" way to get the horns off is like said above saw right in front of the ears straight down and then from the eyebrows back across kinda making an "L" shape.

Well, at least you found something old and got some exercise. ;D

Better start wearing your orange vest.

Bob

ModernMiner,

always nice getting lost in the wooods.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Thanks for posting.

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

Awesome finds MM, too bad about the deer! I also have a few musket balls with a similar ring like yours, must have come from the mold. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back