Friday’s Finds xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Finally got to go out again, weather has been wet and windy all week.

Went back to the fields nearest the castle. The only downside to detecting here as the fields have been used for events so we get to dig lots of trash and modern coins, but we found a few nice bits to show you.

Musket balls… yep 22 of them he dug 9 I dug 13! Then a lead counter/weight… a fancy bit.. a tack pin and possible tack mount (?) 1 solitary button, then 3 lead projectiles/weights… a long lost key 2 pre dec coins 1 toasted and 1 (1916).

Weather is wet again tomoz, but may get to go out on Sunday… fingers crossed! To give you an idea of where we are hunting when I say back at the castle …(castle circled in red) these are the fields outlined in green. Todays marked with a X… These fields have been farmed but are now grass, except the ones at the bottom that border the River Devon they are still Ridge and Furrow.

IMG_0644.jpeg
IMG_0635.jpeg
IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0638.jpeg
IMG_0639.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_0641.jpeg
IMG_0642.jpeg
IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0629.jpeg
IMG_0633.jpeg
IMG_0414.jpeg

Upvote 33

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well it really something that you have more balls than himself now.

Great see you getting out in the fields once again, such dedicated hunters you are.
Where's the 1916?
Beautiful area to play-dream location looking at a castle swinging the coil.

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Well it really something that you have more balls than himself now.

Great see you getting out in the fields once again, such dedicated hunters you are.
Where's the 1916?
Beautiful area to play-dream location looking at a castle swinging the coil.
Thanks Peps… the coin… next to the toasted one… date at bottom xx 🤔

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats!
I can imagine getting in trouble trying to find a home for the key!
Old banks deposit boxes. Castle itself ect..

Enough ammunition to start something. Or end it.
Perhaps some troops camped there?
I think the musket balls are from the civil war.. there was a bit of a todo at the castle back in Civil War …. The seige of Belvoir Castle, the Royalist forces surrendered Belvoir in 1645. 😆 xx

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The second to last pic about a third way down and at 25% in from the left...is that an old barn or frame structure that seen better days? Just right of the top of the trees in the foreground. Great thread, as always.

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting to all.

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Went back to the fields nearest the castle. The only downside to detecting here as the fields have been used for events so we get to dig lots of trash and modern coins, but we found a few nice bits to show you.

Musket balls… yep 22 of them he dug 9 I dug 13! Then a lead counter/weight… a fancy bit.. a tack pin and possible tack mount (?) 1 solitary button, then 3 lead projectiles/weights… a long lost key 2 pre dec coins 1 toasted and 1 (1916).

Weather is wet again tomoz, but may get to go out on Sunday… fingers crossed! To give you an idea of where we are hunting when I say back at the castle …(castle circled in red) these are the fields outlined in green. Todays marked with a X… These fields have been farmed but are now grass, except the ones at the bottom that border the River Devon they are still Ridge and Furrow.

View attachment 2122865 View attachment 2122866 View attachment 2122867 View attachment 2122868 View attachment 2122869 View attachment 2122870 View attachment 2122871 View attachment 2122872 View attachment 2122873 View attachment 2122874 View attachment 2122875 View attachment 2122876
You sure dig a lot of LEAD!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2122865 View attachment 2122866 View attachment 2122867 View attachment 2122868 View attachment 2122869 View attachment 2122870 View attachment 2122871 View attachment 2122872 View attachment 2122873 View attachment 2122874 View attachment 2122875 View attachment 2122876
Cleaning up England one musketball at a time. :)

Is that a record? Best of all you recovered more than himself. :)

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
The second to last pic about a third way down and at 25% in from the left...is that an old barn or frame structure that seen better days? Just right of the top of the trees in the foreground. Great thread, as always.

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting to all.
This one? Im not sure will ask himself to identify it 😆 xx

Update. Himself confirms this is a stack of poplar timber, in 3m lengths.. (approx 2-300 tonnes) which will be chipped for the bio mass boiler in the castle. xx
IMG_0651.jpeg

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the musket balls are from the civil war.. there was a bit of a todo at the castle back in Civil War …. The seige of Belvoir Castle, the Royalist forces surrendered Belvoir in 1645. 😆 xx
Reread a bit of it's history.
Folks determined to have a castle there it seems!

The handspinning whorls around hint of cottage warp and weft.
Heavy blanket of wool that could shed water and make me cheer with delight. Till having to carry it.

Thinner material , linen, light canvas ect. a lead roundball can be tucked behind , pressure applied and cordage tied below to allow a tether. Which might also explain a stray baked clay marble here and there too.
A tent. A sunshade. A get the baby out of the rain. A packing cover for travel and more.
All without cutting a hole in the fabric (not in my blanket!) that could just tear out , besides insult it's integrity. Or require lots of reinforced stitching like a button hole. Blanket pins were used. But for different purpose. Like your Roman fibula/chicken bone thingies. For the unwashed , unleaded unmarbled that were improvising , securing fabric could see small stones used. We know they had yarn/cordage from the spinning whorls.
Bark or plants I don't know there but it's possible it carried forward in places a while .

What is acceptable in reenactment needs know vs actually used back when ' before I can complain more about the tentage shown (I can't see detail l.o.l.) on the castle grounds in reenactment. Common troops tentage shown as opposed to officers .
No marquis showing , or poles or guy ropes or how lower edges are secured ect..

The place to be when troops or a crowd of torch wielding villagers storm the castle grounds though might be right in the distant range where you're detecting. Which is out of accurate range of flying projectiles.
If Castle guards can't see a twig fire scorching a bannock there (o.k. English muffin instead for the devout reenactor then) nearly under the edge of your blanket tent in the rain , that's fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread