Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Here is a pic of Gary from Ohio living THE Metal Detector's Life. He (and wife) are spending 2 weeks traveling down the east coast of Florida and, now, up the west coast of Florida metal detecting all the beaches along the way! I met him while he was searching Howard Park in Tarpon Springs, Fl. Talk about a friendly MDer; enjoyed his stories, and there were many, of his finds over the past few years and some important web sites for identifying and MDing historic sites. Thanks for the tips, Gary. Many you find The Big One!
022916 008.jpg

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heh...

Fred Howard is picked clean.
I should know...
Worked it for years. :P

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ AArc.....Dick!

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tough time, tourists aren't going in the water and they aren't laying on the beach. best of luck but it's been dry !

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ AArc.....Dick!

Just about every metaldetectorist I have met whether person in person or on a forum come across.as friendly, and helpfull an nice to converse with.I just find some of your comments distasteful, joking or not...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough time, tourists aren't going in the water and they aren't laying on the beach. best of luck but it's been dry !
There is a guy in the back ground of the pic that is playing in the shallow water with his kid....thats all it takes for a gold ring to be deposited for us.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about every metaldetectorist I have met whether person in person or on a forum come across.as friendly, and helpfull an nice to converse with.I just find some of your comments distasteful, joking or not...

OH ANDI THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST JOKING AROUND... in some lame weird fruitcake way.
BUT...
Now its obvious you were not... SO...

What are you talking about.. ?
You on dope ?
I never said anything about detectorists ? friendly or not...
My comment was directed at the Park itself and MY experience with it.

Furthermore... I really don't give two craps about your opinion of my "jokes"...
Which was actually only a partial joke...
I just worked that entire beach last week...

Call me a name again and act like a jackass again and I wont be so "civil" about it.

Don't be mad because what I stated was the truth...
ALL beaches here are POUNDED by Mdr's..
AND...
I am friendly with all detectorists... and take my time out of my day to help them.

You do not know me and I do not appreciate your "opinion" stated in open forum.

Maybe we shall "cross paths" one day and you can tell me to my face your opinion.

And just so you know...
I have MD'd that park FOR YEARS.
And am known very well by the Rangers and staff there... who inform me upon my arrival as to "who" "what" and where" someone was with a detector on that beach
In fact...
Some of them ALSO detect it and I helped THEM get started... HEH !

Always a bad apple in a barrel... heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and while here...
This msg is to the original poster of this thread...

Does the guy you posted a picture of know you posted his picture. ?

This thread. heh

I would be pissed if someone posted a picture of me online without my knowledge / consent.

I may be famous... but I am no celebrity OR am I ... Regardless... If I meet you... please... save the pics for yourself.

Besides... there are enough out there already. :P

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and whilst on the subject of Fred Howard Park...

Just so you know... It is man made beach and causeway.
There is NO tidal currents...
There is no "surf"...
It is a sheltered area.

ALL areas of florida have been heavily hunted to death since the 50's.
There are no "spots" of virgin area left.
There is only spots of recently dropped finds.
Mostly change... and foil.
If you get lucky you may find a ring that was dropped in the days before your arrival that has eluded detection by others.

Just some notes to those new to the "rodeo" here...
You will not find a silver coin or more in other words.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No place is ever picked clean. Tried an experiment two yrs ago with 5 guys hunting an area of a heavily hunted park. We hunted both ways and changed positions and one guy had a CTX3030 all the way down to an ACE 250. Each pass something new came up. We didn't find much in about 2 hrs of hunting but it confirmed our believe that an area may be hunted hard it is rarely picked clean.

I hunted an area where I talked to a guy last week. He had about $3 in clad and some toys he found and I found $4+ in clad and believe me if you find that much in a cpl of hours on the Beach in Biloxi you did well

I don't care what anyone says to anyone else as long as it's not offensive. Many people take things to seriously and we should all respect that.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No place is ever picked clean. Tried an experiment two yrs ago with 5 guys hunting an area of a heavily hunted park. We hunted both ways and changed positions and one guy had a CTX3030 all the way down to an ACE 250. Each pass something new came up. We didn't find much in about 2 hrs of hunting but it confirmed our believe that an area may be hunted hard it is rarely picked clean.

I hunted an area where I talked to a guy last week. He had about $3 in clad and some toys he found and I found $4+ in clad and believe me if you find that much in a cpl of hours on the Beach in Biloxi you did well

I don't care what anyone says to anyone else as long as it's not offensive. Many people take things to seriously and we should all respect that.

Agreed.
You will always find something... anywhere you go.
This is true.
There is no shortage of human droppings.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh and while here...
This msg is to the original poster of this thread...

Does the guy you posted a picture of know you posted his picture. ?

This thread. heh

I would be pissed if someone posted a picture of me online without my knowledge / consent.

I may be famous... but I am no celebrity OR am I ... Regardless... If I meet you... please... save the pics for yourself.

Besides... there are enough out there already. :P

Yes, I talked with him for a long time about MDing and also having an Excal, and at the end specifically asked if I could post his picture, from the side, on TreasureNet. I asked for his first name and took a few shots. I agree getting a person's permission, whether for photography or metal detecting, is not only important but the only thing to consider. Thanks for bringing the topic up. Oh, by the way, chance to make a correction - it was Sunset Beach where I saw him not Howard Park beach as earlier stated. The parks seem like sister and brother...and beautiful beaches.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunset ... Heh one of my favorite free parks.
Was just there last week as well.

Thought that was a little "flat" looking for Howard actually.

Errr... week and half... maybe 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This went sideways fast. Im from Fl now....... id be dieing in those cloths. Whoooo weee that looks hot. He needs casual Friday cloths lol. Might run into him on this side of the island thou i rarely hit the dry sand any more. GL to you both out there.

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ AArc.... Now I know your an idiot!!....your welcome to come to South Africa and sort me out anytime,get yourself to Johannesburg and I will give you directions to my location....Prick!.....heh

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@ AArc.... Now I know your an idiot!!....your welcome to come to South Africa and sort me out anytime,get yourself to Johannesburg and I will give you directions to my location....Prick!.....heh

all credibility lost

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread