What's new

From a $5 box in Nelson co VA

theviking

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2009
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
921
Golden Thread
0
Location
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
This knife/preform came from a box marked $5 a piece, the seller said it was found locally in Nelson co. I realize I might have over paid,and I am not in the habit of buying artifacts, I just couldn't stand seeing it banging around in a box with a few broken Savannah Rivers And Guilfords. The seller said he would of asked more for the piece but the multiple plow dings brought down the value.. After getting it home and taking a closer look at the plow dings I see they reveal some nice grey chert, or maybe Rhyolite, under the heavy white patina, looks similar to the grey chert I find here. I tried to get some decent pics of the material at the plow ding, I think the sun kept washing out the color.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0885 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_0885 (1024x681).webp
    52.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSC_0890 (1024x681).webp
    DSC_0890 (1024x681).webp
    36 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0892.webp
    DSC_0892.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 0
I'd say you got a really good deal.
 
You rat!!! - Nelson County? Ooooo- I see turf wars! ;) all good- just kidding :laughing7: You got a nice piece there- and if it was local- it gives me hope for more and different lithic! Hooray for you (and me too ;))
Good 'pick' Yak
 
Nice piece tools for some reason don't bring much. It has some nice flaking on it.
 
Nice piece! I think you have a flaked celt there. I found a bit from one yesterday.ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417478261.798393.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1417478291.508367.webp
 
Possibly a small spade. I think it is a spade, in retrospect! I think mine is a spade tip as well.
 
That's not bad for $5.00! :icon_thumright: She's a beauty, too bad it got chipped.
 
I would think that would be a steel.Can't hardly buy a gallon of milk for 5 dollars.I don't go to many yard sales and flea markets and stuff,but when I do I never see genuine artifacts for sale.I probably just have bad timing or just don't go enough.Nice score!
 
Thanks for the comments folks. Our local tourist shops like "Skyline Caverns" are full of reproduction arrowheads. I don't go to many flea markets either, I got this piece and a few others at a artifact show in Nelson co back in July. Thanks again for the comments. H.H.
 
Thanks for the comments folks. Our local tourist shops like "Skyline Caverns" are full of reproduction arrowheads. I don't go to many flea markets either, I got this piece and a few others at a artifact show in Nelson co back in July. Thanks again for the comments. H.H.

Not long ago I went to what use to be my favorite antique shop to look at arrowheads. I couldn't believe it the whole place had nothing but repros in it. I told the manager cause somebody was trying to sell as real. He didn't care.
 
Not long ago I went to what use to be my favorite antique shop to look at arrowheads. I couldn't believe it the whole place had nothing but repros in it. I told the manager cause somebody was trying to sell as real. He didn't care.
That's pretty messed up.That makes for a bad reputation,and a big buyers beware.I guess knowing patina is the only way to be sure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom