Frozen Ground Story

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty years ago, I had upgraded my detector and was testing it out at my neighbor's 1840's house. It was about this time of the year and the detector I had purchased was Compass Coinscanner. I got a very faint signal in the front yard about ten feet from where I had found a 1834 half dime. I started to dig and the ground was frozen solid. It took me about 5 minutes to chip down two inches before I decided to return when the ground had thawed. Long story short, I completely forgot about this signal until about six months later.

By this time, the Compass was gone and I had a Sovereign XS 2a pro. I quickly found the signal and dug down to about 7 inches. I saw silver in the hole and was not disappointed in what it was. Pristine 1849 Seated dime. Glad I remembered. If that happened today, I would have completely forgot.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twenty years ago, I had upgraded my detector and was testing it out at my neighbor's 1840's house. It was about this time of the year and the detector I had purchased was Compass Coinscanner. I got a very faint signal in the front yard about ten feet from where I had found a 1834 half dime. I started to dig and the ground was frozen solid. It took me about 5 minutes to chip down two inches before I decided to return when the ground had thawed. Long story short, I completely forgot about this signal until about six months later.

By this time, the Compass was gone and I had a Sovereign XS 2a pro. I quickly found the signal and dug down to about 7 inches. I saw silver in the hole and was not disappointed in what it was. Pristine 1849 Seated dime. Glad I remembered. If that happened today, I would have completely forgot.
Nice story. I would never have remembered without marking it. Good job.

May 6, 2020
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Anfibio multi
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer AT
Predator Tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping you were gonna say you remembered it 6 months AGO and went back and found it,(like around last August),instead of 6 months LATER. That would have been extremely awesome! Still a great story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread