What's new

Fruit press?

Yambilly

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yamhill Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this is a fruit press but cant find any information on it. Its different from most as the grinder and press are combined. Only markings is HF and numbers based on the part. Any help would be great. I want to restore it and hopefully make apple cider.
 

Attachments

  • 20191211_155502.webp
    20191211_155502.webp
    394.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20191211_155519.webp
    20191211_155519.webp
    304.8 KB · Views: 114
  • 20191211_155450.webp
    20191211_155450.webp
    306.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Screensho.webp
    Screensho.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Screensho(1).webp
    Screensho(1).webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 71
What you have is a Hartman cider mill from 1920 or so. The price for 1920 was $13.75. It was a unique setup and worked very well.
 
Upvote 0
I remember a slightly new version of this press when I was young...mid 70s...and the press was old then. At a site of an old apple orchard in south west Oregon.
 
Upvote 0
Meant to say newer version
 
Upvote 0
Kudos to Tony for the quick I.D. on your apple cider press. :notworthy:

That piece would restore nicely if you ever choose to go that route.
But I doubt very much that your wife would appreciate it being displayed in your living room. :laughing7:

Dave
 
Upvote 0
Wow what great info and response. Much thanks. I want to use it as intended. Thoughts on restoration?
 
Upvote 0
I know someone who still uses one just like it. They built stuff to last back then.
 
Upvote 0
Awesome I'd they did build stuff better back then
 
Upvote 0
I would clean it gently. Just remove any dirt or grease. Leave the rust and old paint. Paint the exterior(wood and metal) with a mixture of 3 parts mineral spirts and 1 part linseed oil.(usually 2 coats). The shine will go away in about two weeks and it will have a nice protective patina. It will look great, post a "pic". You may have to replace the wood if you use it. Thoughts on restoration?[/QUOTE]
 
Upvote 0
002.webp You can make some "dynamite stuff" w/ that fruit press :):occasion14:
 
Upvote 0
Ok I'll try the cleaning you recommended, wood is solid wont be using it now till next fall when my apples return if I can wait that long lol.
 
Upvote 0
applepress.webp
Heres a pic of what my friends press looked like (but with the grinder/press in one piece like yours) This looks like it might be a good place to start, you already have 90% of the work done for you, only need the strainer and "floor" bits!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom