Fuel Mileage Increase

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Dislaimer! Be careful because 190 degree water will give you a second or third degree burn. Also be careful of vaporized gas, as it will be more readily ignitable than liquid gasoline. Make sure you have no leaks in your fuel line, as that could cause an explosion. Safety should always be exercised when dealing with explosive fuels and near boiling water. By using top quality materials and checking everything twice to ensure all systems are secure, then you can have peace of mind that,unless some catastropic
failure, you needn't worry about breaks, leaks or explosions. If you are not sure of your system, have someone check it for you or have an experienced person build it for you. rockhound

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. Question...if you are trying to get the fuel closer to vapor, why not run a line from the exhaust manifold instead of the hot water line? It should be quite a bit hotter...or is the hot water enough of a temperature increase that you get full vaporization of the fuel? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There is a product called RXP gas kicker. It is available at most Auto Zone stores.It is also available at Amazon.com. It will improve you fuel mileage as well as adding horsepower and reduce 02 emissions. You only need half an ounce per 10 gallons of fuel. You will see and feel the difference in the first few miles, as your engine will run smoother, have more torque and horsepower and after a tank of fuel, you should be getting from 2% to 20% better fuel economy. I am not a salesman or have an interest or involvement with the company. I am only trying to get the information out there for those who want it. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
There are other ways to improve your fuel mileage as well. One is to use a taller tire to change your gearing to a higher gear ratio. It will also change your speedometer reading, so check it with the markers along the highway for comaparison. At 60 Miles per hour,you should hit the mile markers at exactly one minute. Add or subtract 1 mph for every second you are off. Another way is to make your vehicle more aerodynamic. Most older vehicles,especially trucks and SUV's, have a wide flat front end. It is about as aerodynamic as pushing sheet of plywood through the air. Ther are many add ons that will help air to flow over and under the front end for better aerodynamics. Also on trucks,you can either leave the tailgate down(not recommended),buy or make a bedcover, or remove the tailgate altogether, and add a flexible tailgate made od stapping.Tailgates catch a lot of wind and create a lot of drag.Tractor trailer owners, and trucking companies use similar aerodynamic add ons to improve their mileage. An improvement of 10% could save you hundreds of dollars a year in fuel savings. I guess it doesn't need to be said here,but buying a locking gas cap could also be a wise investment.As prices go higher,more people will want to borrow some of yours. More later. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If you want a big increase in fuel mileage in a single cylinder engine(lawn mower,motorcycle,scooter,gemerator), then you should seriously consider installing a GEET system on them. You can find and download the diagram and specs on line for free.Paul Pantone has posted on the internet a free system you can build with only a basic understanding of plumbing and mechanical experience. Diagrams and instructions for autos has not been released yet, and maybe never will.You will have to remove the fuel tank and carburetor as it feeds directly into the intake manifold. Basically, it uses a tank of water and fuel(gasoline,diesel,oil,etc.),runs exhaust heat into it, then uses the vacuum of the engine to pull the vapors into the cylinder. It is another way of vaporizing gasoline,but also uses water vapor to increase heat,volume and density,producing more horsepower for much less fuel consumed.It will not start like a conventional motor,but has to ber turned over many revolutions with a starter or drill until it can prduce enough gasoline vapor to ignite.It has a valve to remove water vapor for starting which must be adjusted after running for best fuel to air ratio.It produces almost no CO2's when running, just water vapor which accumulates in the muffler.Small holes are drilled in the sides to allow the water vapor to drop out or dissipate. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
You can partially vaporize your fuel before it enters the fuel injectors or carburetor by using 1/2'' copper tubing and tying into your heater hoses with two T's. This will allow your heated water from your radiator to flow through the tubing to help preheat the fuel. Also you can use two long ceramic magnets and put them on your fuel line before it enters the carburetor or fuel regualtor. Make sure they are in the attraction mode and turn North ends toward the carb or regulator. You can tape or use wire ties to keep them in place. This will help break up the hydrocarbons in the fuel and make it vaporize easier. More later. rockhound

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best way I have found to Increase the gas Mileage in my Bomb! Quit stomping it to the floor! :laughing7:

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yes, it does make a difference. Starting slow, as opposed to a quick takeoff saves lots of gas. In my younger years I knew nothing about starting out slow,didn't even care. When i took off,it was with the back tires squalling,leaving a rubber trail to follow. We called it leaving two Firestones smoking in the middle of the road. As I matured and settled down,my emphasis was more on economy instead of raw horsepower. I found out that I don't need to get anywhere that fast anyway. Only when being late for work would I surpass the speed limit.I am now in a more conservative mode when getting from point A to point B. I try to leave in plenty of time and allow for any traffic problems when I need to be somewhere at a given time. Makes a big difference in my wallet. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Another way to imrove you mileage and add horsepower to your vehicle is to change the factory exhaust system and install a set of headers. They now make headers that are 50 state legal. It will add about 20-30 horsepower to your engine and will let your engine breathe better. This will give you better flow and more more horsepower but also better fuel economy. Estimates of around 10% to 20% are normal fuel increases. They should pay for themselves in less than a year. These are especially good for pickup trucks,which get poor fuel mileage anyway.If you do this you should also change your air filter to a K&N or other cloth type filter. More later. rockhound

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
don't forget to air up your tires! even a little over inflated is better then underinflated, a flat tire requires more power to roll then one that is aired up. also use snythetic oil in your engine, it makes less friction so your motor turns easier which requires less fuel, not much but every little bit helps. of course the best is to park it and use your bikecycle, walk, but those are not much fun.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Some people in my area, during the spring and summer, are riding bicycles and using a small gasoline engine designed to fit on the front of the bike. This way they can use it when they get tired or encounter a hill that is too steep or long to pedal up. If they haven't very far to commute or is mostly in city type riding, it seems to be a viable solution to traffic and fuel consumption issues. I think the top speed is about 25-30 MPH or so, and would not be advisable on major highways where traffic has a much higher speed limit. These small motors are said to get around 125 MPG and can easily pay for themselves in one summers riding, plus pedaling some will offset that figure pushing it into the 200MPG or so range. Could be a good investment for those in similar situations where it is usuable. Go to www.kingsmotorbikes.com Good Luck. rockhound

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
Some people in my area, during the spring and summer, are riding bicycles and using a small gasoline engine designed to fit on the front of the bike. This way they can use it when they get tired or encounter a hill that is too steep or long to pedal up. If they haven't very far to commute or is mostly in city type riding, it seems to be a viable solution to traffic and fuel consumption issues. I think the top speed is about 25-30 MPH or so, and would not be advisable on major highways where traffic has a much higher speed limit. These small motors are said to get around 125 MPG and can easily pay for themselves in one summers riding, plus pedaling some will offset that figure pushing it into the 200MPG or so range. Could be a good investment for those in similar situations where it is usuable. Go to www.kingsmotorbikes.com Good Luck. rockhound
A good wind from Irene.. And some bed Linens, Make for a sail.. And no pedaling needed.. :laughing7:

My bicycle riding days are over.. Dang bikes gave me too many stitches.. If I would have rode them the right way, Things could have been different..

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Yeah it would probably be a last resort for most people to go back to a bicycle, even a motorized one. You would need to live close to the city or in the city to make it work, and not have too far to travel to work. Although you could just use it for errands around town and still save some money on fuel. Those of us in the country or farther away from town would probably not be interested in a bicycle for any type of transportation. An small economical car or small truck would be better suited for us. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Here are a couple of electric-hybrid cars sure to catch your attention. Good Luck. rockhound

Attachments

• cover-1.jpg
    cover-1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 535
  • smart-car-shot.jpg
    smart-car-shot.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 536

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rockhound said:
There are other ways to improve your fuel mileage as well. One is to use a taller tire to change your gearing to a higher gear ratio. It will also change your speedometer reading, so check it with the markers along the highway for comaparison. At 60 Miles per hour,you should hit the mile markers at exactly one minute. Add or subtract 1 mph for every second you are off. Another way is to make your vehicle more aerodynamic. Most older vehicles,especially trucks and SUV's, have a wide flat front end. It is about as aerodynamic as pushing sheet of plywood through the air. Ther are many add ons that will help air to flow over and under the front end for better aerodynamics. Also on trucks,you can either leave the tailgate down(not recommended),buy or make a bedcover, or remove the tailgate altogether, and add a flexible tailgate made od stapping.Tailgates catch a lot of wind and create a lot of drag.Tractor trailer owners, and trucking companies use similar aerodynamic add ons to improve their mileage. An improvement of 10% could save you hundreds of dollars a year in fuel savings. I guess it doesn't need to be said here,but buying a locking gas cap could also be a wise investment.As prices go higher,more people will want to borrow some of yours. More later. rockhound

Tailgate up is your best option, less drag and better aerodynamics

Tailgate down is your worst option.

http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatures/FeatureTailgateUporDown.htm

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Trucks, being the best selling vehicles on the planet need to get the best fuel economy that they can. Any information regarding trucks are very beneficial to those who drive them. Most people I know use a tonneau cover or camper top shell to increase fuel mileage. Aerodynamics play a large role in reducing fuel consumption. Trucks have been very un-aerodynamic for many years now, with flat front ends and squared fenders which increase fuel consumption. To get the truly aerodynamic trucks would be going back to the 50's, when trucks had sharp nosed front ends and rounded offf fenders to reduce wind resistance. It is ironic that today we travel at much higher speeds than in the 50's, yet our vehicles, especially trucks are far more inefficent in aerodynamic designs. Possibly we will see a trend in the future to make more aeodynamic vehicles and further reduce or fuel consumption. Electric will most likey become the vehicles of choice, especially if fuel rises much more. We can generate our own electricity far easier than making our own gaoline, diesel or propane. I don't see trucks going totally electric, but already some models are available in hybrid. Small electric cars could have a big impact on our oil importation, reducing it by 75%. Good luck. rockhound

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
We might as well face it, the internal combustion engine has lived way past its time. It has been obsolete for more than 50 years now. The only thing that keeps it going is the big oil companies. They have continued to pump gasoline and expected the automotive industry to keep it running on gasoline and diesel. We are all contributing to pollution and our kids and grandkids will have to live or die from it. In some cities the air is already not breatable and the only 5% of the worlds water is drinkable, untreated. There are many solutions to our problems, but as long as they can keep selling oil, you will never see them. Windfall profits, that is what the name of the game is, not only in the oil industry, but also on wall street. If we continue this trend for another 20 years, this planet will not support life of any kind. The plankton in the oceans account for 60-70% of the oxygen we breathe, but with all the oil spills in the oceans , the plankton is dying off rapidly. Life can't live without oxygen, and all other ocean life depends on plankton to survive. We need to change our driving habits and use less petroleum and walk or bike, not only to save money and pollution but also to become healthier in the proccess. It is a win-win situation but it may also be imperative if we are to survive as a species. Sorry for the long rant. Good Luck. rockhound

illumastorm

Jul 24, 2011
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
discovery 1,000
yea i agree, we are going to end up like a mad max movie, or else go back to being like the wild west and using horse and buggy. sometimes i think the amish have the right idea.

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
If it weren't for the grediness of the oil companies, we would have had electric or at least, high fuel mileage vehicles 50 years ago. Also the electric companies are trying to hold us prisoner with their rates. We should have had free electrical devices in our homes 25 years ago also. Good Luck. rockhoud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread