paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was it; the absolute top of my bucket list goals for 2019, a Fugio Cent! I've found plenty of amazing coppers this year, but none of them match the sheer history associated with these pieces so I've been dying to pull one out of the ground. And wouldn't you know, it was the third plug on a brand new permission. This house is next to another permission I've had for a year. The neighbor saw me while I was doing another sweep on the yard and we chatted a bit about what I do. Their house is also late 18th century and thankfully I got the green light to check it out too.

The first couple targets were deep bits of roofing aluminum which isn't a great sign. The third signal was a 94-95 which is usually a clad quarter. Instead I see a green disk in the plug so I'm thinking 'awesome a large cent.' Pretty thick encrustation, but I was looking over it and there wasn't a bust. I flipped it over and saw a circle in the center with lettering and there's only one copper I know that has that! My expectations were low on the condition given how moist the soil was, but I was hoping that the design would at least be obvious. Here's what I started with before cleaning:

Untitled.jpg

I used zero water on it; just letting it dry a little to see how stable the patina would be. It was actually looking like very little of the usual flaky green patina was present so I let it dry the rest of the way and slowly picked it with a bamboo skewer. I tend to use those over toothpicks since they're a little harder and I can whittle the tip into different shapes depending on what I want to do. After getting most of the dirt off I carefully took encrusted copper salts off of the details. Finally I used Andre's brush tool on the flat areas, but sparingly since I find it tends to reduce the sharpness of lettering on colonial coppers. The results were much better than I anticipated:

DSC09979.JPG DSC09982.JPG

All the main features are visible and some quite distinct. There are even clear die cracks on the obverse and reverse. Incredibly there's enough detail that I was able to nail down the die variety, Newman 7-T which is R-4, very scarce! The die cracks are apparently diagnostic of coins produced later in the run for this particular variety and the crack going through the sun and the crack through the lettering eventually meet before the die was considered unusable.

Obviously I was excited to check out the rest of the yard and only a few feet away I pulled out the most beautiful civilian flat button I've ever found:

DSC09964.JPG DSC09965.JPG

Virtually all of the gold gilt remains and the deeply engraved flower as well as the scalloped edges are features I've never seen before. After this piece though the yard vitually went dead of targets. There were bits of modern trash and some deep modern iron, but almost nothing else. They had an artificial pond dug and I suspect that the contractors spread the dirt over 95% of the backyard. I did find one spot near some older trees that escaped the fill.

DSC09970.JPG DSC09960.JPG DSC09961.JPG

Some Victorian pieces including a picture frame border and a really cool silver plated reigns guide that has a brass flap over the hole. Also four wheat pennies: 1911, 1941, 1946, 1952. There was a tiny piece of silver, a junior christian endeavor pin likely from the 1960's.

Right in this spot next to a big maple tree I get a strong 95-96 target. It's exactly under a huge root and initially I pass over it since those are a nightmare to get out and I don't want to do that much damage to the lawn. But later I circle back convinced that it's a silver quarter and decide to try digging under the root from the side which is even harder, but doesn't leave much of a mark. I'm blindly reaching under the root and digging by hand and passing each handful of dirt over the detector and finally I get the target which is a big slick copper. Not silver, but at least it's not a clad quarter so that's fine. It wasn't until I get back home and start cleaning it that I realize what I had dug. It really was a slick, worn down to the point that there was almost no relief to the design, but I was able to tease out the ID and even the date:

DSC09967.JPG DSC09969.JPG

A 1795 Liberty Cap large cent! :hello2: Plain rim, but the ghostly date is clear so I'm more than happy to find it and with a mintage of just around 500,000 this is far from a common coin to find. Toothpicking wouldn't have done much for this coin so I used a technique that's really a last resort. I take a rectangular flat razor with the aluminum top and run it almost parallel to the surface of the coin. This takes off very thin and very flat slices of the patina like a carpenter's plane. Any details that are left will capture patina in between them and in the steps between features. After I have the coin ID I can focus on where I know features are and go even more carefully with those or clean up spots that need more work. Obviously it's not something I would send for grading, but to get an ID and some detail off what would otherwise have been a copper slug sometimes it works pretty well.

That was it for the coppers though. The only other find of note was a 1921 chauffeur's badge:

DSC09959.JPG

Pretty random, but I'll take it. I can only image what's lurking below the fill layer, but it's at least 8" thick so that's a lost cause. Not bad finds for the lucky survivors though and the Fugio cent, in the condition it's in, is my find of the year so I'm happy!

Upvote 79

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice! The Fugio is a great find and you have a very nice one, but the Liberty Cap is a much rarer find. I have only found 2, compared to 6 Fugios. I have a buddy that has found 19, yes 19 Fugios, but NO Liberty Caps. But you had one heck of a hunt !!!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! The Fugio is a great find and you have a very nice one, but the Liberty Cap is a much rarer find. I have only found 2, compared to 6 Fugios. I have a buddy that has found 19, yes 19 Fugios, but NO Liberty Caps. But you had one heck of a hunt !!!

That's funny, I have two Liberty Cap cents now and both are 1795 instead of 1794 which has twice the mintage. It's weird what comes out of the ground sometimes, but it's all just statistical aberrations. 19 Fugios in incredible though, even 6 is amazing. Supposedly only 400,000 were delivered to Congress in total and even those didn't circulate well.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice fugio and nice liberty cap. Id say liberty caps are at least as rare as fugios at least on the forums anyway

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty! Nice to see a fugio come out like that. Congrats..........Hogge

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt - the Fugio, the Liberty Cap and the button all. I've got Oak Island running in the background and seeing your finds is a million times more interesting!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Fugio is a gem. Wow.

You got all sorts of good stuff, congrats.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a super hunt.
Congrats

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow,thats a lister for me too. Most of the coppers I’ve pulled this year have been toast. Your is very nice!!! Big congrats!!

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two coins of a lifetime in one dig! Holy Cow! Congratulations!!!!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Once I find something like this the problem is I can't stop swinging! :laughing7:

I wouldn’t stop either. Who knows how many other good finds there will be and if you stop you will never know. You kept swingin and found a lot of other good things so you proved the point. Keep swingin and diggin.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt with excellent finds ! Congrats on that Fugio Cent, and that beautiful civilian button, along with the rest of your finds.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent saves. Congratulations.

And thanks for sharing your techniques for teasing the details out of those coppers. They worked very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions