Fugio Field: Willliam III halfpenny :) :( [now with pics]

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
[Updated with pics. Don't gouge your coins like this! Doh! (The reverse was like that--at least I didn't do that one.)]

Went back to Fugio Field last night. I'm starting to grid an area next to the previous one. Hit a signal that was bouncing around all over but had some nice sound to it. I don't know what was going on in my head but I dug a too small hole, hit roots, and ended up gouging the hell out of a Wm. III halfpenny. Still feel sick about it. I haven't set up the new comp with the camera yet so no pics--but I'm not sure I'd post those nasty gouges anyhow.

And this coin, although very worn, was the cleanest LC I've ever pulled from the ground. It's so worn I can't get a date off of it but it would have been between 1695-1701.

080804_WmIII-halfpenny_oberse.jpg

080804_WmIII-halfpenny_reerse.jpg

I've now pulled 6 LCs from the ground there and none have been the same ones.
French
- double-tournois (mid-late 1600s)
- Louis XVI 12 deniers (1792?)
English
- William III (1695-1701)
- George II (1727-1760)
- George III (1760-1820)
U.S.
- Fugio (1787)
Considering the spread of where I've found them so far, I'm starting to think they may have been buried and spread by plowing.

_Rich_

[edited to correct the Georges]

Upvote 0
Re: Fugio Field: Willliam III halfpenny :) :(

Shake off the oops, happens to everyone. :icon_sunny:

Looks like you've found quite a honey hole there.
Keep those finds coming.
Mike

Re: Fugio Field: Willliam III halfpenny :) :(

Attachments

• useless.jpg
    useless.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 586
  • useless.jpg
    useless.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 579
Updated with pics. First time trying to scan them. Man, I miss not having Photoshop on this computer. (Went from Mac to PC for $ sake.)

Even though there is a scratch, it is still a great find indeed. That Fugio field has yielded you many nice coins.

Kyle

I would feel sick too. Will you now change to a spade?

CRUSADER said:

I would if it were a real field rather than a city park. (I just liked the alliteration of "field".)

How often do you find King William III halfpennies there? I read that there were so many made that the next reign didn't even mint any halfpennies, though I understand there are a number of variations.

_Rich_

BlackX said:
CRUSADER said:

I would if it were a real field rather than a city park. (I just liked the alliteration of "field".)

How often do you find King William III halfpennies there? I read that there were so many made that the next reign didn't even mint any halfpennies, though I understand there are a number of variations.

_Rich_

About 1 a month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back