Fun with Auction Prices!

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As a collector who 'rescues' Old Timer's collections from neglect, but who is still relatively new to this hobby, I watch several online auctions / retail stores to learn about artifact prices. (...not ebay....never been there...) If I offer to buy a collection, I want to be ethical, I want to be fair, but obviously I do not want to be over priced. There is a LOT to know, and I appreciate the sage advice I receive from discussions found here. Among other things, I have learned how critical condition is to the value if an artifact, and how 'minor' faults in condition result in drastic reduction in value.

So...below are three lots from a local auction house that sells items "Where Is As Is." If you dare enter this contest.....take a guess at the sale price of each lot: Lot 1, Lot 2, Lot 3. The only clue is this: you may be surprised!!
I certainly was. Answers provided soon!

Auc1.JPG

auc2.JPG

auc3.JPG

Upvote 0
What I would pay: 200 for everything and then maybe no.
1st frame looks nice but only 3 show little or no damage. Colors not great.
2nd & 3rd are mostly field grade stuff that goes for little.

Probably will be asking at least 300, 200, & 100 respectively.

Auctions are awfully unpredictable.
Prices at auctions amaze me one way or the other every time.
Some times I buy a bunch of stuff other times I wish I had brought a bunch of stuff.

Value wise, I'd rank them 3, 2, 1.

If the beveled adze has a nice bit, it could be a nice piece. There look to be a couple of other celts in decent shape there. $350
Frame 2 has a couple of nice points in there. $200
Frame 1 has a couple of decent points. $175

First tray I wouldn't go any more than $150.
Second tray around $225
Those Beveled Celts are kind of rare and are $100 each easily and you add in the other Celts I'd say $300 to $325.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back