What's new

Fun With Silver !!

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2007
Messages
1,224
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Gang, I am always impressed when I see all the silver piled up on kitchen tables. I was bored today so I pulled out a few rolls of 40%ers and made a small display. I tried to count them but I am definitely not smarter than a 5th grader. There are 165 rolls of halves, another 990 in the poker case and about 600 in the clear trays. They won't all fit in a safety deposit box so I guess I will bury them. HH and Cheers, Jim
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5539.webp
    IMG_5539.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_5542.webp
    IMG_5542.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 612
Upvote 0
Nice pile. Looks like a 1 day haul for LJ.............LOL
 
Yep you must have been bored. Nice horad.

HH

Cat
 
OMFG....HOW LONG WERE U COLLECTING THOSE....??
 
When you bury them please take carefull GPS readings of the location and send them to me for safe keeping. :-)
 
I knew all them bags would start to pay off LOL :thumbsup:. BTW when is pokernight again I forgot? haha.
HH Mark
 
Now that is a beautiful sight!!!!

Maybe I sound go help you with the counting...... :wink:

Thanks for the pictures Papa.......pleasing to the eye......ha!
 
Can't wait to see those paper rolls show up at the bank - now I know what to look for.. :o

Nice pics!
 
Can I come over and go metal detecting at your house???
 
Very nice drool-inducing pix! But to correct you, saving all that silver definitely makes you smarter than a fifth grader.
 
this post brings up something ive been thinking of. i know everyone here has different way to safeguard their stash. mine is in a safe and i know others who put it in a saftey deposit box. but im thinking more along the line of insurance if it is kept in you home. i know my house insurance will only cover up to like $2500 in precious metals. so in that aspect does anyone have a better idea? or is a saftey deposit the best way to go and just hope you can get to it if u need it? but with the majority of us having it in our homes are we just hoping that nothing happens?
 
nyiangelo said:
this post brings up something ive been thinking of. i know everyone here has different way to safeguard their stash. mine is in a safe and i know others who put it in a saftey deposit box. but im thinking more along the line of insurance if it is kept in you home. i know my house insurance will only cover up to like $2500 in precious metals. so in that aspect does anyone have a better idea? or is a saftey deposit the best way to go and just hope you can get to it if u need it? but with the majority of us having it in our homes are we just hoping that nothing happens?

My personal opinion.......Safety Deposit Boxes. Don't take the chance of keeping it in your home....not worth it to me. There is a cost associated with the SDB's but when it comes right down to it.......the cost is minimal compared to what you could possibly stand to lose. I worked too hard for my little stash and I can rest easy knowing it's safe & secure!!
 
I'm not sure but there is a deductable involved with homeowners insurace $500-1000. Cost of safety deposit box. well you should know. Some banks waive the first 6 months with new accounts.

Mojo
 
coinmojo said:
I'm not sure but there is a deductable involved with homeowners insurace $500-1000. Cost of safety deposit box. well you should know. Some banks waive the first 6 months with new accounts.

Mojo

Hmmmm.......you have me thinking Mojo. If your right (not saying your not) about banks waiving the first 6 months with new accounts, maybe one could open an account and utilize this free 6 month service and when it is about to expire.....go to the next one for another bank for six months and on and on.......ha!

I have asked two banks (main branches) about renting a small area inside their room where the safe is to keep a personal safe. Both branch managers told me they would check on this because they have never had such an inquiry before.......both answers came back negative. Oh well....ya never know until you try huh. My thought was maybe it would be cheaper than the annual cost of the SDB's.

Hey Papa.....still love the pictures........excellent.....thanks again for posting!!! It's motivation.................
 
And I was hoping I could fill a cigar box with my silver someday. Even that is proving tough around here. Maybe my area has been pounded too hard over the years.
 
LJ said:
nyiangelo said:
this post brings up something ive been thinking of. i know everyone here has different way to safeguard their stash. mine is in a safe and i know others who put it in a saftey deposit box. but im thinking more along the line of insurance if it is kept in you home. i know my house insurance will only cover up to like $2500 in precious metals. so in that aspect does anyone have a better idea? or is a saftey deposit the best way to go and just hope you can get to it if u need it? but with the majority of us having it in our homes are we just hoping that nothing happens?

My personal opinion.......Safety Deposit Boxes. Don't take the chance of keeping it in your home....not worth it to me. There is a cost associated with the SDB's but when it comes right down to it.......the cost is minimal compared to what you could possibly stand to lose. I worked too hard for my little stash and I can rest easy knowing it's safe & secure!!


LJ,

Although safe deposit boxes are good for protecting against a burglar, they too have pitfalls. First, unlike your money in the bank, SDB contents are not FDIC insured and are not insured by the bank generally. Also, if someone gets a judgment against you, they can attach it. There are numerous web articles about the patriot act giving the gov power to seize SDBs under certain circumstances such as state of emergency, etc., but I have not read the actual text to verify and this just could be BS.

I wonder what would happen if a bank fails and shuts its doors? I don't know how you would go about getting your SDB contents back. Has anyone ever seen this happen in the past?

A person could keep them in their house and purchase extra insurance from their homeowners carrier for the contents. You would have to carefully document and photograph all items I would assume, but I have heard that trying to recover from them is somewhat of a pain. Since I rent now this option is out of the question for me. If I had my own home and could have a secure and hidden safe, I would rather go with this option.

I have and use a SDB too, but I still worry and don't believe it is 100% safe and secure necessarily.

Jim
 
i think either way is a lose lose. because for those that have way more than their insurance covers and then on top of that you
have to pay a deductible when someone else steals it and cashes it in for all you to find.you cant win. ive even heard regarding sdb's that in areas like new orleans or along the coast line during hurricane season some people couldnt get to their banks for 6 weeks due to flooding. think of the people in the midwest right now. banks underwater so is all their collections. they need it they cant have it. chances are low that either will happen but i guess we'll find out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom