What's new

Funny discussion

Wudnut

Jr. Member
Joined
May 20, 2017
Messages
64
Reaction score
175
Golden Thread
0
Location
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being new at Metal detecting, i just met a guy who been doing detecting for some time. He asked, why is it, we get excited when we find a nickel or penny buried in the ground 2 inches. Yet if its in our pocket we just treat as chump change and give it no attention?
I smiled and replied, well the penny i found, was a 1991
 
It is fun to search for single coins and jewels and for buried treasures. Good hunting and good luck.
 
Because we got the one in the ground for "free" - everyone likes that word, even thought nothing is truly free.
 
That's the truth. I will get down to the ground and dig up a penny, but if one happens to be on the laundry room floor while I am sweeping up, it goes into the dustpan and trash without giving it a second thought.
 
Well I have been hunting a long time and that nickel in my pocket I already own, now I want to own whatever folks have lost and I am always thrilled about my finds.
 
This is so funny as I pretty much tell the same story. :laughing7:
If I see anything less than a quarter on the ground I walk on past it. I wouldn't stop to pick up a penny ever!
Now that I am into MD'ing, I get so excited searching for things, hearing the sounds, deciding if it a good target and then trying to dig it out and leave the spot looking like I was never there.
I can't seem to get enough of the Thrill of the Chase!! Could do this all day, every day!

Funny how we can spend an hour or two and come home with $1.25 and be so excited! Never worked so hard for so little money... but it is not about the money is it?
 
Last edited:
I must be odd man out by spotting a penny on the floor at a grocery store and stopping to pick it up.

My vacation spending money comes from change so every bit is a plus. I never pay with change, only bills. The change returned from a sale goes into the vacation jar. If it's $4.01 and I have 60 pennies in my pocket I'm still gettin .99 cents back for the jar.

I recently went to FL on vacation and had over 400 extra just from change used in daily transactions.

That's why I pick them up and put them in my pocket.

Ben Franklin would approve, I think.
 
I was in the water yesterday as the beaches re-opened for the Memorial Day weekend, pass after pass with no signal - we'd cleaned it out last year!

And then I got a good signal, scooped out a shiny zincoln. With that I was truly delighted :)
 
I'm huntin for the whales. The minnows are just extra free gravy.

And I've always picked up money or something that I can convert into money so long as it doesn't belong to someone else. I always scoured the creeks and roadsides as a kid for soft drink bottles. I mean, Come On; 2¢ is 2¢!
 
I'm huntin for the whales. The minnows are just extra free gravy.

And I've always picked up money or something that I can convert into money so long as it doesn't belong to someone else. I always scoured the creeks and roadsides as a kid for soft drink bottles. I mean, Come On; 2¢ is 2¢!

My state has 5 cent on cans, 10 cents on 16oz bottles.... we did that as kids, alot. Some people scratch out a meager living just hitting trashcans in public parks. I figured out one old woman has a daily route.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom