Funny find in the woods

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I was out in the woods scratching around finding bits of wire and other disappointing rubbish but I made one comical discovery that made the night. I got a signal directly over a shallow divet in the middle of a path, I dug and about an inch down to find a length of rebar. As I covered it back up it dawned on me that someone else had been there detecting not that long before me. That shallow divet was the hole they dug on the same damn signal I had got but they failed to fully refill the hole. I wonder how many other unsuspecting detectorists have dug that very spot. Heehee! Have a good one!

Last edited:
Upvote 1

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MIdden, was the rebar pounded into the ground vertically, like a stake? Did it have a washer on top, or any chain, cable or wire attached?

My guess is you found someones old trap stake, and the "divot" was where the trap was bedded.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out in the woods scratching around finding bits of wire and other disappointing rubbish but I made one comical discovery that made the night. I got a signal directly over a shallow divet in the middle of a path, I dug and about an inch down to find a length of rebar. As I covered it back up it dawned on me that someone else had been there detecting not that long before me. That shallow divet was the hole they dug on the same damn signal I had got but they failed to fully refill the hole. I wonder how many other unsuspecting detectorists have dug that very spot. Heehee! Have a good one!
Can say for one, its common to hit an old place and get a signal and start to dig, only to realize that someone else has already dug for that target.. weather they left it or decided it wasn't worth digging I don't know, In one hole I dug like that I got a Kennedy Half, not silver, but for the most part stuff like that is BIG IRON, that sounds good... :dontknow: 🤣

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Can say for one, its common to hit an old place and get a signal and start to dig, only to realize that someone else has already dug for that target.. weather they left it or decided it wasn't worth digging I don't know, In one hole I dug like that I got a Kennedy Half, not silver, but for the most part stuff like that is BIG IRON, that sounds good... :dontknow: 🤣
Yep, big iron sounding off like silver, that's something I often encounter but usually at depths greater than 6". Especially in a place like the one I was in I'm just gonna dig all of it, there's been a lot of human activity down there for hundreds of years so it's all potentially good though predictably it's been heavily hunted or at least in the specific spot I was in. The river has much better to offer, you just gotta go the crazy, remote and unseen routes to get to the world of the forgotten

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go over pre-dug depressions and have even recovered relics from them .
This reminds me of something that happened years ago with a friend, we were walking around an old house and in the front yard he got a silver Roosevelt Dime ? Silver but nothing old... we continued ta walk around the house and as we walked back to the front of the house he call me over and said... this hole where I just dug the dime, he said he got another dime out of the same hole he already dug, after walking around the house and deciding to check the same hole one more time... Sooo just because its been dug before doesn't mean they got it all :dontknow:🤣

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread