What's new

FYI - Users of new Excals

TexasRT

Full Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
236
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know I saw a couple of others post that their new Excal would not produce any sound until you turn the threshold to about 3/4's up on the dial. Mine was doing the same thing, I contacted Minelab and they replaced the whole unit. The new one they sent does the same excact thing. Must just be the way they are...
Also check all your cable connections, all the ones on the newest unit were real loose.


HH
 
Upvote 0
Loose connections are not good. I am glad my older Excal 1000 is still perfect.
 
My threshold just started spinning all the way around it was about 3/4 to get a fine background sound. But that changes with conditions also, sometimes more sometimes less. Anyhow minelab has mine in for repair after only 6 months. steve
 
I have 3 excaliburs, one is about 4 years old, one is three years old, and one is a year old.

On all three machines, the threshold is silent until at least half turn on the on/off/threshold knob. This is normal, and what i've come to expect as functioning correctly.

Now, I have noticed on my newest Excalibur II, that I've been running with the AA battery pack, that after about 8 hours of use on new batteries, I start having issues with the threshold, and it is pretty loud as soon as it clicks on from the off position. There is no silent area in the 1/4 to 1/2 turn area, which becomes a real problem. When I then put in fresh batteries, it works just fine again.

You should definitely have some area of turn from the off position that is silent. Some people like to hunt is silent mode with no threshold, so that should always be present from the just on to upwards of 1/2 turn of the dial before you start hearing the threshold.

Good luck.

Jim
 
This is exactly what I was afraid of...crappy machines from overseas.. I am hoping my new one is not like this.. I will flippppppppppp out.. I love my one I have, but I do have a issue with the on/off knob, to which I have no clue or trust myself on how to fix that myself.. ok so am not super mechanically inclined..but I am hoping my second xcal is aok..
 
See my posts under "My Minelab eperience"

SJA
 
Buried Crap NJ said:
My threshold just started spinning all the way around it was about 3/4 to get a fine background sound. But that changes with conditions also, sometimes more sometimes less. Anyhow minelab has mine in for repair after only 6 months. steve
A set of Johns aftermarket knobs will fix that.. My "disc/pinpoint" knob was doing the same thing when I sent it in.... I have a set of these wonderful knobs just waiting to go on it when I get it back..
 
I don't know if this means anything but, in the Ex II's Manual, it shows a pic of the threshold set at approx half of the dial? . . . just a thought.

SJA :-)
 
Silver Surfer said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
My threshold just started spinning all the way around it was about 3/4 to get a fine background sound. But that changes with conditions also, sometimes more sometimes less. Anyhow minelab has mine in for repair after only 6 months. steve
A set of Johns aftermarket knobs will fix that.. My "disc/pinpoint" knob was doing the same thing when I sent it in.... I have a set of these wonderful knobs just waiting to go on it when I get it back..

You guys don't read the nob isn't slipping! It keeps going around and around ON OFF ON OFF ON and your still turning it the same direction. The Minelab nobs a set so they slip when you reach the full travel of the pot. If you put the aftermarket nobs on your likely to go past the physical stop inside and be left with what happened to me.
 
time4me said:
On all three machines, the threshold is silent until at least half turn on the on/off/threshold knob. This is normal, and what i've come to expect as functioning correctly.

Now, I have noticed on my newest Excalibur II, that I've been running with the AA battery pack, that after about 8 hours of use on new batteries, I start having issues with the threshold, and it is pretty loud as soon as it clicks on from the off position. There is no silent area in the 1/4 to 1/2 turn area, which becomes a real problem. When I then put in fresh batteries, it works just fine again.

I was looking for that info about a month ago, thanks. The threshold start point is noticeably different when using AA's, it does start changing alot after a few hours of use and seems to progressively get worse once it starts, until AA's are changed out for new ones.
 
MT Pockets said:
Minelab had replaced all of the Aftermarket knobs .. saying" that they weren't compatable with their machines"
You've GOT to be kidding... How the hell could knobs NOT be compatible if they are made for the machine?? Maybe if they put good knobs on, people wouldnt change them out??
But then, if the put good knobs on in the first place, you'd have to pay $1500 for one..... Just saying..
 
I have talked with several Xcal owners and they too have spun (or seen spun) the pots breaking the controls. Most of them feel its from the nobs being replaced with larger set screw type nobs. The bigger area give more leverage. Hence when you get to full travel with more pressure you can go too far.
The tech at Minelab said the control nobs they use are set to slip at the stops of the pot. He also said the only control that gives there nobs a problem was the Am/Descriminate as this is an on/off switch, not a pot.
Hi tech electronics are delicate. Maybe this is why they don't put bigger tighter fitting nobs on in the first place?
 
rc2125 said:
I was looking for that info about a month ago, thanks. The threshold start point is noticeably different when using AA's, it does start changing alot after a few hours of use and seems to progressively get worse once it starts, until AA's are changed out for new ones.

I'm glad to hear that someone else is having this problem when using AA batteries. I was starting to worry that something was wrong with my detector.

Anyone else notice the problem with threshold when running AA batteries?
 
I have had larger knobs on my oldest Excal for about 3 years now with not a single problem with the pods on it. I have easily put probably 150+ hours on it since first putting the knobs on...Yes Minelab says don't use them, "they may scar the post", I've had no problems....I have the larger knobs on threshold and volume on both my Excals now.....
 
Buried Crap NJ said:
I have talked with several Xcal owners and they too have spun (or seen spun) the pots breaking the controls. Most of them feel its from the nobs being replaced with larger set screw type nobs. The bigger area give more leverage. Hence when you get to full travel with more pressure you can go too far.
The tech at Minelab said the control nobs they use are set to slip at the stops of the pot. He also said the only control that gives there nobs a problem was the Am/Descriminate as this is an on/off switch, not a pot.
Hi tech electronics are delicate. Maybe this is why they don't put bigger tighter fitting nobs on in the first place?
Wow, thanks... I guess that makes sense... The knob that DID spin on me was the Disc knob... BUT, it would have to be a pretty flimsy switch for me to "over crank" it.. IF it stops, I dont continue to twist it... The Disc switch on my Excal isnt smooth as the others, it is a pretty stiff "click"... I had to twist pretty hard to get it to switch, and it slipped after about the 3rd time I used it... I doubt I will ever switch it out of Disc mode again, so shouldnt be a problem.. The other knobs turn like butter...
I just like the new knobs because they are bigger, and will be easier to get ahold of with wet, slippery gloves on..
 
The more I'm hearing about these new Excal's the less I am inclined to buy one.

I hear plenty of praise about the original Excalibur's, but a string a complaints about the new ones.
 
You've GOT to be kidding... How the hell could knobs NOT be compatible if they are made for the machine?? Maybe if they put good knobs on, people wouldnt change them out??
But then, if the put good knobs on in the first place, you'd have to pay $1500 for one..... Just saying..
[/quote]

What happens is this ...
The seals make it harder to turn the controls and also hard to feel the "click" or solid stop.
It is easy to twist the control past the stop damaging the pot.
There is a mechanical stop in the switch and it can be damaged by twisting hard against it.
In the case of the Disc / Pinpoint switch it is a brass pin stop soldered on the board.
Very easy to twist that off because of the drag the rubber seals have.
The original Excalibur knobs are designed to not allow a lot of torque by making it hard to get a solid grip on them and also they will slip on the shaft.
In other words if you try to gorilla the knob, your wet fingers or the knob itself will slip rather than twisting past the stops.
Put on the knobs that allow more torque to be applied and you can easily twist them off.

I know ... it is a crappy design and a poor way to compensate for the weakness ... but that is what it is.

I am surprised that Minelab dont refuse to warranty damage from user modifications.
 
Willee said:
You've GOT to be kidding... How the hell could knobs NOT be compatible if they are made for the machine?? Maybe if they put good knobs on, people wouldnt change them out??
But then, if the put good knobs on in the first place, you'd have to pay $1500 for one..... Just saying..

What happens is this ...
The seals make it harder to turn the controls and also hard to feel the "click" or solid stop.
It is easy to twist the control past the stop damaging the pot.
There is a mechanical stop in the switch and it can be damaged by twisting hard against it.
In the case of the Disc / Pinpoint switch it is a brass pin stop soldered on the board.
Very easy to twist that off because of the drag the rubber seals have.
The original Excalibur knobs are designed to not allow a lot of torque by making it hard to get a solid grip on them and also they will slip on the shaft.
In other words if you try to gorilla the knob, your wet fingers or the knob itself will slip rather than twisting past the stops.
Put on the knobs that allow more torque to be applied and you can easily twist them off.

I know ... it is a crappy design and a poor way to compensate for the weakness ... but that is what it is.

I am surprised that Minelab dont refuse to warranty damage from user modifications.
[/quote]

If you mod a Minelab under warranty they void you warranty when you send it in......Highly recommend all mods be done after warranty is expired, or replace with stock knobs when sent it..... :icon_thumright:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom