gainesville, alachua county

Look around your local history sources and see if you can find the site of a Spanish mission. Some time ago I recall seeing something about it published by the University of Florida. Try searching "treasure trove" in their library catalog.

Chip V.

My memory is like a steel trap: rusty & illegal in 35 states.

I think the book that mentioned a Spanish mission near Gainesville was a book abouth the business aspects of treasure hunting. It was published by the University of Florida.

Chip V.

The Alachua Prarie area is really old and historic as well as the old Newmansville town site. These sites go back to the early 1800s.

As far as the Spanish Mission, the best resource I have found for these are the old Spanish maps that date 1500s-1700s. These usually showed the Spanish towns or missions.

Hope this helps.

ghost_rider

would love to check the newnansville site, but i believe there is a hsitoric marker there, and its protected, im not the greatest at research..lol...six

I am working on some old maps and information for you. I should be able to give you a pretty good idea of where these sites were located.

Remember in the state of Florida that Historic Markers can be placed on private land, doesn't mean they can't be MD'd with out permission as always!!! Typically historic markers in Florida are placed in a road right of way, which is owned either by the state or county where the marker is located.

I work here where I live on the Historic Perservation Committee who places some of these marker. Unless the historic marker is inside of a state park or county owned park I would explore the options of them being located on private land, if they are not there is alway private land around where you can get permission. I know people here where I live that MD in the right of ways and along the side of the roads because many of the old roads follow old railroad beds or stagecoach roads.

Also be aware that many homestead cemeteries exist in Florida, many of these cemeteries are unmarked and may look like a wooded area. Some of these cemeteries are so old that most have forgotten about them or are no longer around to tell us where they are.

I should be posting some location information for you but you will have to search out your ability for access to these places.

ghost_rider

Ok.... please check this link out http://www.clerk-alachua-fl.org/Archive/default.cfm

This is a link to the ancient records of Alachua County.... here you will find a ton of historic records, maps etc. for the area you are in.

Also check out this link..... http://www.clerk-alachua-fl.org/Archive/AncientJ/FrontPage.cfm this link should take you to a map that was drawn sometime in the early 1800s. This maps shows you where all the original settlers of the area had settled. TIP: each square on the map represents one square mile. You will also notice that there are section, township and range numbers on the old map, with these number you can find exactly where these peoles property is located today!!!

This information may also be helpful to you: Old (extinct) Newnansville should be northeast of present town of Alachua inside TW8s and R18E, probably Sections: 9 & 10. Alachua Prairie or the the Paynes Prairie, it is TW10S and Range 19S, probably just north of Micanopy or old Wantons. Again these number will tell you where they are located today. Most maps will show you the section, township and range numbers.

If you have any questions about how to read these maps let me know and I'll give you a crash course, its easy!!!

thanks!! your the best ghost rider will check em out and get back with ya, got the weekend off, we will taking a ride that way to scout things out...six

ghost_rider said:
Ok.... please check this link out http://www.clerk-alachua-fl.org/Archive/default.cfm

This is a link to the ancient records of Alachua County.... here you will find a ton of historic records, maps etc. for the area you are in.

Also check out this link..... http://www.clerk-alachua-fl.org/Archive/AncientJ/FrontPage.cfm this link should take you to a map that was drawn sometime in the early 1800s. This maps shows you where all the original settlers of the area had settled. TIP: each square on the map represents one square mile. You will also notice that there are section, township and range numbers on the old map, with these number you can find exactly where these peoles property is located today!!!

This information may also be helpful to you: Old (extinct) Newnansville should be northeast of present town of Alachua inside TW8s and R18E, probably Sections: 9 & 10. Alachua Prairie or the the Paynes Prairie, it is TW10S and Range 19S, probably just north of Micanopy or old Wantons. Again these number will tell you where they are located today. Most maps will show you the section, township and range numbers.

If you have any questions about how to read these maps let me know and I'll give you a crash course, its easy!!!

the 2nd link would not open for me....six

>:( Yeah I had some trouble with that link myself.... let me see if I can fix it or figure out what the problem is!!! I'll try to repost that link..... the second link is to the main page where you can access more records and maps!!!!

ghost_rider

found a few old plats pages but don't know how to read em, or know what to look for..lol.....six

thanks again...

Each square on the map has a number, that represent the section number..... the township and range number should be at the top of the map in roman numerals.

Once you figure out the township and range number they probably won't change much since it is for your area.

Again the names on the map are the old homesteads, these are where the people lived and there's probably some good ole' stuff buried around them.

Pick one, figure out what section its in and then grap your current day map. A good street map for your area will do, you will notice on the street map that there are section number as well as township and range number..... they have never changed since the original surveys were made.

Once you figure out where it is one your current map, you then have road current road direction. Hope this makes sense but if not let me know and I will try to clarify a little more. I think once you find the S.T.R. numbers on your current day map it will all click and make sense. Once you learn how to read these numbers it is all cake from there and you can read them like a book. In fact I have gotten so good at that I can tell you what town are in what S.T.R.'s here where I live.

Every county has a set of these original survey, which could potentially become a treasure map!!!! Not many people look at them that way but just look at all the old homestead on you map, who buried what back then is anybody's guess!!!!!

ghost_rider

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back