Gaining Permission: Letters?

M

Mag99004

The wife and I just recently got to Utah. We'll only be here for about 2 years. I've started my research of this area. I've found quite a few homes that were built in the late 1800's. I was considering knocking on every door(what I usually do) because that generally has a much higher success rate(for me atleast). However, that'll take a lot of time and I have the contact info for most of these homes. Anyone have any experience mailing letters to owners of prospective detecting sites? If someone has a letter they'd be willing to share that I might be able to use for a basic format/foundation I'd appreciate it. Or if anyone with experience writing letters for permission even has any advice about what/what not to do that'd be great as well. Feel free to post your thoughts. Thanks ahead of time. I'll be sure to post on what kind of success I'm having and what works.

Happy Hunting

Semper Fi

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mag,

Welcome aboard. This is the best site on the net for metal detecting/treasure hunting. Glad you are with us.

I have mailed out a few letters (with self addressesed stamped envelopes) and have never gotten a response back. I have found that the best way to get permission is to be a "ground pounder". Knocking on doors have been quite successful for me. Hope it helps.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CHKNHAK said:
Mag,

I have mailed out a few letters (with self addressesed stamped envelopes) and have never gotten a response back. I have found that the best way to get permission is to be a "ground pounder". Knocking on doors have been quite successful for me. Hope it helps.

almost the Same Results here.

Your easier to Ignore in a letter. Then Face to face.

OP
OP
M

Mag99004

I've had fairly good luck knocking on doors but to be fair, I've only ever hunted yards where the homeowner was resodding, installing sprinkler system, etc. I wouldn't really know how approach a situation where I'm just asking to detect a perfectly good lawn. I imagine thats a lot more difficult. Do you guys just stick to crappy/torn up lawns or have you had any success with the latter. Any advice(the more specific/detailed the better)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::)

works for me

Attachments

• Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Sneak.gif
    Sneak.gif
    18.3 KB · Views: 172

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
ive had some luck getting permission from churches this way, but more often than not, its a no or nothing at all.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
To be real honest, I have never had any luck on letters OR phone calls. If you don't make it a personal face to face, so they can see your not some freak from death row, you may as well hang it up. I have never gotten a no asking in person, but every letter with my number, or phone call has been a big fat NO.

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
A word of advice.

If you haven't noticed yet. Many people in Utah take great pride in their lawn. It's not easy to grow grass in that climate. You will see some of the most beautiful expanses of lush green lawn in North and Central Utah. I have traveled around a great deal and Utah lawns are some of the best.

I would stick to those that you mentioned before. Being replaced or dug up for some other reason. I mean you can try but it's going to be tough. I did have some luck in looking for homes that were for sale and vacant. Call the realestate agent and ask them about hunting the property. Good luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread