Galena check out these veins, to bad its not gold

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I extracted from a unmined location not far from where I live,central pa,this comes from a contact zone of a red shale, sandstone, and both of those are overlayed by this extremely hard quartzite, the contact is so vivid of color contrasts that your eyes are immediately drawn to it if scanning at a glance, so had get up close and personal with it,so I start to take my hammer and start to dig a (trough) between the shale and sandstone, once I had bedrock cleared of topsoil I began tapping on the rock on both sides (listening for viods) and was rewarded when on the one side it sounded good, and got better going higher, (very steep terain) so when this got to sounding like I was knocking on a door, I had to start splitting and busting rock, well it's a very rich vien deposit, only its worthless, galena and micromounts, sphalerite,beautiful red,but so small you need a magnifying glass to see, but all in all, did locate another deposit, but no real good goodies lol 0401182242.jpg

OP
OP
L

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wet sanded and steel wooled this piece to make it (pop),this piece is the smallest that i collected that day and I left it outside with other less than desirable specimens, well it oxidized to a dull gray in just a few months, well I wanted to see if I could make it more appealing, well I liked how it took a (alluvial erosion look) so I am going to do it to some of the giant specimens I have, they have been kept indoors and still have the brilliant, cubic galena feature, but I really like this weathered (look)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread