Game Of Polo History

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The colours on this painting are stunningly brilliant and just as vibrant as the day
they were painted. It is miniature in size at just 3 1/8 inch long by 1 9/16 inch wide.
I cannot tell if it is painted on porcelain, bone or another type of material. Frame looks
hand made.
In my research I found on the history of Polo the following info taken from that site:

" The most spectacular tribute to polo, however, is an imperial city laid out around a royal polo ground . Esfahân was the constructed capital of Shah Abbâs the Great, the Safavid Emperor (1571-1629). Shah Abbâs planned his city to be the most beautiful in the world and centred it on his polo ground – the Maydân-e-Shah, also known as the Naqsh-e Jahân . This vast central square was the largest in the world until the construction of Tien An Meng. It is around 560 metres long and 160 metres wide. At each end are stone goal posts 7.3 metres apart, and this is today the regulation width of a polo goal.
At the south end of the field and just beyond the goal posts, Shah Abbâs constructed Masjed-e Shah, whose mosaic domes and minarets make it one of the most beautiful mosques in the world. Beyond the northern goal is the elaborately decorated Qaysariya Gateway leading to the Royal Bazaar. The polo ground was therefore very definitely at the centre of public life in the city. "

The back ground on this painting matches the Naqsh-e Jahan square where tribute to
the royal polo ground " the imperial city was constructed."

I have exhausted my research and if anyone can help with; when & where this painting may have been done, and the artist whom I believe signed this with his monogram (pic shown). All thoughts & opinions welcome....

TilePic 5 Text 2.jpg ..... TilePic 1 Monogram.JPG

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be my view.

It's a much-reproduced view of the square, often depicted with polo players or military horsemen practicing their skills, both as small paintings (like those below) and also true miniatures.

Polo1.jpg Polo2.jpg

Essentially the same scene gets churned out with numerous variations and re-arrangements of the figures. Mostly they’re workshop paintings from Isfahan in Iran and typically date to the mid-1900s. Although Persia changed name to Iran in 1935 and most such paintings were produced after that date, they’re still sold as “Persian” (to appeal to the market) and often claimed to be rather older. The brightness of the colours is not a good sign for antiquity. Some just have a workshop mark for Isfahan and some are individually attributed to particular artists. The miniatures are usually painted on bone. There were a number of producers such as “Emami Miniaturshop” and others, and the most prolific individual artist was H. Ali Sajjadi. Here’s a couple of examples (the second one is Sajjadi’s work):

Polo3.jpg Polo4.jpg

Sajjadi’s miniatures typically fetch $100-300 at auction with a top reported hammer price of $480 to date and I would expect other artists to be in that same region but at the lower end.

Typical back label (but these are often removed by sellers):

Polo5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a good view it is. Again you nailed it. Red-Coat appreciate your time & knowledge as I now can put this one to rest.
Thanks & have a great day.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread