Garage Sale Platinum & Diamonds, My 1st Ever!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After many months of lackluster sales, it’s finally starting to turn around in my neck of the woods. We had horrible rains in Feb and March which nearly killed every weekend for garage sales. With the worst of the weather behind us, it started to perk up.

I’ve had some insanely good finds lately but this one seemed the most fitting to share.

It was my very first stop on Saturday (a mini garage sale/flea market at a Newport Beach marina) and one seller had a large assortment of costume jewelry. I spied two mini ladies watches and purchased them for a whopping 8 dollars. I ended up buying a beautiful Polo field/hunting jacket and some other small items before making my way to my next sale.

Somehow I found the willpower to not open the watches because I had to focus on other things, like driving so I was a good boy and ignored them as they shouted “open me” while flying down the freeway.

after a few more stops, including one that uncovered a late 40s Cadillac, (another story for another day) I opened the watch and was greeted with “Platinum” on the inside of the case! I assume the diamonds are real and the watch works great. I’ll clean the case and let the wife wear it until she gets tired of winding it Every few days.

The case back cover weighs 2.0 grams on the nose so I’d assume the other half, with its oversized bracelet mounts and thicker stone settings weigh 3-4x that. Not bad for 4 bucks

Attachments

• 59EE82B1-1686-44D3-9B41-131ACA350414.jpeg
    59EE82B1-1686-44D3-9B41-131ACA350414.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 112

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. Is the band platinum also?. I'm thinking you should have maybe 5 grams at least in the case, if you strip it down and the diamonds are likely real. The watch complete is worth more than scrap imo. I've picked up two platinum and diamond watches such as yours and sold them on eBay. One was a Hamilton I paid $120. for and it sold for a little over a grand and it had also a 14k white gold and diamond bracelet. The other was a Bulova, very similar to yours, which I think I gave around $90. for. It sold for around $600. Both sold to persons in China where it seems these vintage ladies high end watches are more desirable.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as someone who collects watches and such, I am jealous. Great snag. Take it to get cleaned and serviced before any long term use. Normally I let people know that it often costs more than the watch will be worth to get this done for old pocket watches and such, but you look to have something that is nice enough to break that normal tendency making it worth having done in my opinion.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After many months of lackluster sales, it’s finally starting to turn around in my neck of the woods. We had horrible rains in Feb and March which nearly killed every weekend for garage sales. With the worst of the weather behind us, it started to perk up.

I’ve had some insanely good finds lately but this one seemed the most fitting to share.

It was my very first stop on Saturday (a mini garage sale/flea market at a Newport Beach marina) and one seller had a large assortment of costume jewelry. I spied two mini ladies watches and purchased them for a whopping 8 dollars. I ended up buying a beautiful Polo field/hunting jacket and some other small items before making my way to my next sale.

Somehow I found the willpower to not open the watches because I had to focus on other things, like driving so I was a good boy and ignored them as they shouted “open me” while flying down the freeway.

after a few more stops, including one that uncovered a late 40s Cadillac, (another story for another day) I opened the watch and was greeted with “Platinum” on the inside of the case! I assume the diamonds are real and the watch works great. I’ll clean the case and let the wife wear it until she gets tired of winding it Every few days.

The case back cover weighs 2.0 grams on the nose so I’d assume the other half, with its oversized bracelet mounts and thicker stone settings weigh 3-4x that. Not bad for 4 bucks
Well done on the purchase, there's nothing but upside to the watch. Hope the Mrs will enjoy it also.
There' are sites that specialize in retro/vintage watches and they hold a great value.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good job. Is the band platinum also?. I'm thinking you should have maybe 5 grams at least in the case, if you strip it down and the diamonds are likely real. The watch complete is worth more than scrap imo. I've picked up two platinum and diamond watches such as yours and sold them on eBay. One was a Hamilton I paid $120. for and it sold for a little over a grand and it had also a 14k white gold and diamond bracelet. The other was a Bulova, very similar to yours, which I think I gave around $90. for. It sold for around $600. Both sold to persons in China where it seems these vintage ladies high end watches are more desirable.
Here is my 14K Hamilton that I have had for many years. Did a trade for the watch with the brother-in-law (can't remember what but I had really nothing into the item I traded.) I looked it up a few years ago and was pleasantly pleased at the selling value. (only difference is mine is white gold)
20220120_093614.jpg
20220120_093625.jpg
20191214_114818.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Incredible score, and beautiful watch! Platinum and diamonds, what a combination! They look beautiful on a woman in my opinion. Very classy, how they were meant to look, back in those days. Congratulations on the score!

artslinger

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the kind words. The band is not platinum but chrome plated metal. The case and 1st link on each side are platinum with little diamonds. The circular link is where the non precious metals start.

normally if service it myself but this is so small I’ll let another buddy handle it. One it gets cleaned/polished I’ll let her have it and see what she thinks.

When she does tire of it, I’ll prob just keep it in my collection of other nice watches I’ve built over the years from garage/estate sales.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Pepper you did great also :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread