What's new

garden tips

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
1,128
Reaction score
10
Golden Thread
0
Location
sandusky, ohio
The last 5 years i've been doing tomatoes and peppers in 5 gallon buckets. This year i plan on a 20' by 20' garden! My question is this! Is it safe to put the dogs feces in the garden for fertilizer? My other half is totally against it, and i half some mixed feelings about it. When we were kids we would throw our dog tomatoes and he would catch them and eat a few from time to time! When we cleaned his feces up, it was thrown in a pile being the fence, and the biggest juiciest tomatoes would grow out of it! Any thoughts?
 
TT is correct. You can compost dog and even human manure for use as fertilizer, but said compost has to reach a certain temperature to kill all harmful bacteria. So unless you are an experienced composter, I would say don't use anything but manure from herbivores, and even then it has to compost for a while to be safe.

Here's a website that will help you:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2002085416013761.html
 
Different fecal matter have different PH content depending on donor's diet. You must determine what your soil PH is and go from that.
Chicken *poop* is good for most applications, however, it may prove too acidic. Conversely, Bat *poop* may be just what you need. It is very high in acidity. Call Commissioner Gordon if you need Bat *poop.* Or you can get it from caves, or on the internet.

When I was younger, I grew.... ummmmm.....plants. Yep, corn and such.... 8)

I bought an old beat-up blender at the local thrift shop. I then went to the bait shops and bought up their dead minnows. They will sell 'em cheap. Can you say, "Fish Emulsion?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_emulsion

Works great! ALL Natural! High in proteins....:thumbsup:

Kinda like what Squanto and me worked out with early fertilization by putting a fish in with the corn plantings....(ain't history great?)

Best,
Scott
 
Here's the REAL difference. Year before last I had my granddaughter collecting dried up cow pies in the field. She would then put on a paper dust mask and safety goggles and run them through the wood chipper to break them up to be used in the garden as fertilizer. I don't think she would do the same thing with dogie doo. There is just something inherently different between the 2. :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom