Gargoyle oil cap?

joecoastie

Aug 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, new guy here. I just started out in this hobby. I am fortunate that at my place of work there was a turn of the century house that was standing until about 4 weeks ago. I thought it would be fun to hunt that area so I borrowed a detector from my wife's grandfather. it's a White's Eagle II. I know it's old but I'm finding things with it. I've only found recent coins. The oldest I found was a 52 wheat penny.

Well, this is the most interesting thing I found so far out there besides some coins and bullet casings.
I have no idea what it goes to. It appears that there is two steel/iron chain links coming out of it. It's almost as if it were a tag/medal of some kind. Anyone know how old it is and any back story?

ETA: It's roughly the size of a Kennedy Half Dollar
garg.JPG

OP
OP
J

joecoastie

Aug 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Yes, the back side is blank therefore, not mentioned. I'm assuming that it's from around the 1920's due to the art-deco design encompassing the piece. No one knows how old the house is that was torn down. I think I mentioned it earlier but I found a 52 wheat penny out there. I'm hoping that the good spots have not been covered up with asphalt or buildings. I bought a nice sturdy spade shovel this weekend. I'll hit it again tomorrow if it's not raining.

I hope someone comes along who may know more to the story on this thing....

Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some kind of watch fob...........jmho................HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

joecoastie

Aug 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, Vacuum Oil Company is part of ExxonMobil.
As a suggestion, send a pic of your find to the ExxonMobil PR Department and ask them for some history.
Don........

Great idea!! Why didn't I think of that?! I'll post up any info if I get some from them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread