Garnets?

fuseboxxx

May 6, 2013
Does anyone save garnets? If so what size and what do you do with them? Pretty new to gold prospecting and keep finding them but I've been so preoccupied with finding gold I haven't bothered saving any? Please advise

If its a bigger one save it. Otherwise chuck em

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Kernkieth. Women seem to like to save them. They are a semi precious gem that while look pretty aren't worth much. Some folks will use them in jewelry and they look very nice. Large is a matter of opinion. To me if my arthritic fingers can pick it up it is a keeper. Don't want it too small if using in jewelry.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They come in a dozen colors and save'm all as you can buy bezels that look like hearts,hourglass and 100s a others and when put inside they make a great piece a jewelry. Creeks and rivers around Coarsegold at the bottom of the motherlode has a dazzling amount I've never seen anywhere else in any state,and many colors too-John

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Several pounds of garnets can be found in on e day with relative ease. Panning technique sooooooo key with garnet. Classification too. Most garnets worth collecting are between 12 and 4 mesh. I always wondered if there is money producing hundreds of pounds of garnets. It os entirely possible here in NH. We are Loaded with it.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never been to NH but sounds like a great place to hunt garnets. Be it gems,minerals,relics or gold--thay ALL rock my boat as 1 of the 4 is always present and multitasking knowledge is what makes my quality of life possible-any pics???thanx much-John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Several pounds of garnets can be found in on e day with relative ease. Panning technique sooooooo key with garnet. Classification too. Most garnets worth collecting are between 12 and 4 mesh. I always wondered if there is money producing hundreds of pounds of garnets. It os entirely possible here in NH. We are Loaded with it.

Bring a bunch of the bigger ones with you when you move! lots of garnet here too but just small stuff so you might find some interest from locals here.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
With Garnets it's all about size, color and clarity. We find garnets around here all the time but they're all smaller than a 12 mesh. When we started finding so many I did a little research to see if they were worth keeping. Unfortunately ours are not. I did learn though that if you happen to find some YELLOW ones that you'd best be hanging onto them as they're worth more than diamonds due to their rarity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread