Garret AT Pro, White equivalent, or Fisher Gold Bug?

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Harbour freight cheapo. Trying and expermenting to see if I like it and then want to go Garrett or Fisher.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All my reading has sent me to one of the three above mentioned above detectors. After I mess with my el cheapo for the next month or three and decide I like detecting (if I do) I will buy one of the three above depending on all your advice. If you own or operate business expressly representing one of these please refrain from comment. I would like USERS who own these units to advise me based on their experiences. Thank you in advance.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
at pro is not the number one detector for any given task,it is really pretty good at many tasks and is I believe one of the most versatile machines made.the 5x8 coil a must.priced to allow some quality accessories.pro pointer another must have.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey BLK,
The AT Pro, is a good machine, but really any in this range of the three mentioned would be good. The real question is what do you plan to do with it? Where do you plan to go with it? What are you looking for?
If your around water the AT Pro is water proof to 10 feet, others are not. You gona be in heavy black sand or heavy mineral clay? Then the Gold will perform better as it has a threshold setting and a true all metal mode. I wish I could speak more on White's but I haven't had any recent experience with them since 1980's. I have enjoyed my AT Pro, and my Fisher F70 I would recommend either, and I have had a fair amount of time on the Gold Bug the G2 and AT Gold. Good Hunting!!

OP
OP
B

BLK

Mar 5, 2015
Northern New York State
Detector(s) used
Harbour freight cheapo. Trying and expermenting to see if I like it and then want to go Garrett or Fisher.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Opie, I hope to be able to keep in touch with of a few folks like you who sound objective and also real. By real I mean honest. I just love this forum because I am listening to some very, very honest people. May God bless America and keep her ever shining like the first gold coin I find!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one of the three have great machines! I still would like you to test drive several of each to get an idea of each ones capabilities! The two most important questions are where or what type soil are you searching in and what will you be searching for?

I have a general all around machine a whites m6. I search beaches, parks, schools, for coins and jewelry etc. it can search for gold, it is great on silver and copper.

Best advice is what ever detector you get learn what it is telling you is underground. You should dig all signals at first to see how each one comes up on your machine then you can adjust the machine according to how much trash or iron is in the ground, but if you get an odd signal dig it.

billyjoe42

May 10, 2007
Placer Co, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, White's M6, Gray Ghost Amphibians, Sun Ray Gold, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For absolute reliable performance, all 3 brands produce quality units. Just pick the machine that best fits your purposes.
My personal arsenal: White's M6 excels for general searching (parks, picnic areas, beaches), but the GMT finds the nuggets & meteorites in difficult ground; DD coils rule in mineralized ground, along with better target separation. I see a lot of Gold Bugs used in the desert. My current favorite for "Do it all" is the AT Gold. Covers the whole range of detecting environments, except saltwater beaches; very versatile machine, and you don't need a physics degree to run one. I have enjoyed success & NO headaches with all the above.
Take your time, and all the best in your quest. :)

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks so much BLK, anytime I can help just let me know :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions