What's new

Garrett 250

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2014
Messages
1,734
Reaction score
3,039
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My sister wants to go metal detecting with me, so I am going to buy her an inexpensive detector for her birthday. I stopped by a local store and looked at a Garrett 250, but it just seemed like overpriced junk. I have heard good things about the Tesoro Compadre. Not sure which way to go - any advice?
 
the ace 250 is a nice machine for the money---it is not good for wet salt sand or ocean water.---works good on land, easy to learn
Ii had an ace 350 and moved to treasure coast--replaced it with a Whites for the ocean beach--
rancherjL
 
The Ace machines are easy to use and do work well. I worked an Ace350 and found lots of great stuff, including a multi-thousand $ ring..

Bud
 
I have the Ace 250. It's a great machine for a beginner like myself. That being said it does have some problems. The recovery time between two near objects can be down right awful. The lack of a VDI means you need to dig almost everything up since the range reading is at best a very rough guide. But the positive side is that it's cheap, so if you are not sure if she would like detecting full time it's a small investment. The machine itself is one of the best in the price range.
 
Please dont torment your sister with a garrett ....the compadre isnt any better ive seen and read good things about the eurotek pro but have never had 1 in my hands
 
found my first two silvers with the 250, a class ring a lot of clad. passed it on to my wife who loves how easy it is to use. ask a hundred people get a lot of opinions, but for the money it is a good starter to find out if you or someone else really wants to be serious about it.
 
EROTEK PRO!! approximately the same price and out performs ACE 250 by a long shot.
 
- Ace 250, used (around $150)
- Eurotek Pro if spending new money, $210 for the 8" coil model.

Dont be misled by those who suggest a one-knob detector for beginners. Today's technology is so far beyond that, it isn't even funny anymore. Additionally, if your sister can work a computer, a cell phone, or drive a car, she can learn to use a modern, digital detector.

I love Tesoro detectors, but in a weird paradox, would suggest the Compadre for an EXPERIENCED USER, not a raw beginner.
 
Ace 250 is not junk and not a toy...good detector for the money...light weight, easy to use and will hit a coin at 8 inches.
 
Since I only have had one detector, I can only tell you about my experience with the ACE250. After 2yrs hunting in corn fields, woods, beach (including wet sand) I have found just about every category of metal. Rings,jewelry, artifacts, coins and all the rest. After about a year, I reached a point where I could really use it to it's full potential. The last month on the beach has been a whole lot of swinging and little digging. The best advice I can give is to learn the machine and it will work well for you. I can't see myself buying another detector for my style hunting. The only thing is water detecting and someday I will purchase an AT PRO or AT GOLD. Remember, you have to put in the time to get the results!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom