Garrett diggers -2

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
handle.JPG Just wanted to let folks know about my Garrett diggers...that's right plural. I have to say I actually like the Garrett digger and I can cut a decent plug with it. That being said the handle on the digger is garbage. I took my brand spankin' new Garrett digger out and the end of the handle split open after about three to four hours of hunting. When I got home I was taking the pictures and the whole handle slid right off. (you can see glue on the handle but it obviously wasn't holding anything.) So I contacted the store where I purchased it and they sent out a new digger right away. After four digs with the new digger same thing happened. I contacted Garrett directly, sent pictures, and they said they were redesigning the handle and grip. A few weeks later (it was already winter by this point so I didn't mind t wait) I received my new digger which I haven't used yet. It looks the same I don't see any mods to the handle. Anyhoo here are some photos of the first digger, but the first two looked the same. Oh yeah and the inside of the handle was rusted out on both. (both were used during hot dry conditions no rain). photo.JPG View attachment 963586 garrett digger.JPG

Last edited:

Ole # 7

Feb 13, 2014
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Eclipse 9.5 concentric, Eclipse DD 6x10, Bullseye TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Chinese bicycle grips just ain't what they used to be!!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I was thinking about getting one, think I'll wait a while!

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I get the old digger out of storage I'll post the mod I did on the first one (the one in the pic). used a .30 cent end cap and Gorilla glue to glue on the cap and re-glue the grip on. When I post the mod the top of the grip looks like it will flake off. I used it on another few digs and it has been solid. I will post pics soon. I also constructed a T-Handle mod for the second digger that the grip came off. I have not installed the T handle yet. I'll post later on the T-Handle mod. Cheers for now.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing with the lesche i got acouple years ago the grip isnt glued worth a hoot on the handle and it kept slipping off..easy fix gorilla glued it never had a problem since

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the mod on the first one. grip looks flimsy but the grip and end cap are gorilla glued. Used it for the last part of last season and so far all good. photo1.JPG photo2.JPG

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the problem is they use that rubber cement and it doesnt hold up ...never had the gorilla glue come off but im sure it would be tough changing handle grips

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gorilla glue is good stuff, but be sure you want a long lasting or permanent bond.
luvsdux

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup the only reason to use gorilla glue. Love the stuff.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at bicycle handles and see if the width is the same. I use them on my water scoops in place of the original all handles because they are better padded.

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I will probably use a bike grip on the second one I have to fix. I made a t-handle for it. so I will use a bike grip on the handle and the T section will fit over the bare handle and butt up against the bike grip. The only reason I am trying the T handle and not just a regular bike grip is I have a buggered wrist and I am looking for anything to make digging easier. If my wrist was better I would just use a regular bike grip. I agree with you 100% SusanMN. thanks for the tip and HH.

OP
OP
voodoo

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just added grip tape to the end cap of the digger as it was slippery.good to go for this season. Now if the snow would just take a hike!

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more i see this the more iam hesitating to buy a lesche or garrett digging tool.I have a fiskars and some treasurewise tools.The 7.99 fiskars has taken all the abuse i can put out and still going strong after 8 months.I think garrett or lesche should do a better job with the handle grip.Iam sure they have heard from many people about these problems by now.Just my 2 cents worth.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Lesche digger has been submerged, under snow for a full winter, in mud, etc., yet still performs good as new after 4yrs. I doubt I'll need another.
Peace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread