Garrett GTI 2500 or GTP 1350

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
As a newbie to this group, I would like to say hello to all here and thanks for letting me join.
I would like to ask for some advice on which detector would be better, but first if I would like to give a brief description of my experience as a MD' ist.
A couple of years ago my wife bought my a Garrett Ace 100, the basic MD, I never owned one so this field of interest was all new. Well it has no frills or chills with this unit, but still takes time learning the tones it makes when it finds different metals. I've dug up many a pull tab and beer can, but I've also dug up rings of sorts, many coins, and several small toy cars. I've used this unit on the fresh water beaches and have most times found coins, even under water( about a foot under water).
Earliest coins so far was dated in the early 1940's and expect to find more... the deepest was about 6 in.'s. Of course it would be nice to see depth and size of object beeping the machine, which brings me to my next step in MD'ing. Time for me to move up few notches from beginner, I know what your thinking, but I like quality and purchasing some I won't have to upgrade in a year or two.

We have very nasty winters up in Northern Canada, so my equipment will only be used in the warm season, so less wear n tare.
Well I've been eying the GTI 2500 or the GTP 1350.
This summer I'm planning the go up to the Yukon Territory, near Alaska, where I've heard rumored to be another gold rush going on. Which brings me to the question of which of these MD's would be a better for finding gold platinum etc.. of course after trip is done I would be back to the regular MD grounds.

Also what would be the smallest speck of gold that one could expect to find with such detectors.

Hope I didn't babble too much, will keep reading all the excellent comments.

Best regards 8)

Willy

If you plan to prospect, of the two detectors the GTI 2500 is the hands down winner. It isn't, however, a prospecting machine per se, though it can & will find gold. Get the DD elliptical coil(s) though. The GTI 2500 will pick up a 2.5-3 grain nugget, maybe smaller, with the 5x10" elliptical coil. ..Willy.

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Question for Willy? I live out in south central oregon and we have tons of black sand and alkali soil here. I like to hunt the old homesteads that have tons of trash. I am thinking about buying another garrett as I just bought an infinium and am impressed with garrett. I need a detector that has good disc and good target separation. Most of the coins are only 2 to 4 inches deep so depth is not an issue. Should I step up to the plate and get the gti 2500 or will the 1350gtp do the job? I can't see spending $400 more if the 1350 will do just as well. I will no doubt get the little 4.5 inch coil for working the old homesteads.

OP
OP
gemhunter

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
Thanks Willy, I paid for half, next month it will be paid off. The GTI 2500 comes with the 9.5 coil and a 12.5'" coil, I also took your advice & got the 5x10"
scorcher coil. I checked on the cost in Canada where I live, wow are we ever getting ripped off :P
I bought from the USA & even after exchange & all I will be saving almost exactly half cost ;D

Should have new detector some time in April, just in time to read manual, watch winter roll out and spring roll in.

thanks again Willy, from way up in the frozen North country Canada.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just happened to catch your post today. I have the GTI 2500 and it does me a fine job. I have picked up BBs at 8" and thought it was a gold ring until I dug it up! It will find those little small flakes for you. I have had it light up on tiny pieces of foil I could barely see. You made a good choice and good luck hunting the yellow stuff. Monty

OP
OP
gemhunter

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Re: Garrett GTI 2500 for Gold and Relics in Yukon

I found out that my buddies claim in Yukon has flour gold and course gold. My brother in-law, his son & I will also be taking the gold pans, Highbanker & of course the GTI 2500. There is also an old cabin there since the late 1800's, so I'm hoping to find some coins or artifacts & will soon find out how much I can master the GTI 2500 in 3-4 months before we go up.

We had +5C today, snow is melting fast, so I will be plotting out a test garden for new MD to get fast practice, also have small pieces of grain gold to test.
Suggestions on how to set up a test garden welcome.

Thanks for the tips guys and for all the rest who have contributed to this board, I still have much to learn from those who know, thanks for all the great advice.

My Fever is increasing North Alberta Canada. ::) :o ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread