Apr 27, 2005
New York
Detector(s) used
DRS Ground Exper
3 Foot Probe
Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know I was initially all excited about this set up. The GTI 2500 is a deep detector in all metal mode. The sizing feature is a bonus. 9, 12 and 10x14 coils give me a fine selection and then top it all off with a two box attachment with the eagle eye feature. What more could you ask for. Problem is with out a method to test this myself against the TF-900 I only have the say so of web sites and others experiences. The best I hear is that it works but is behind the TF-900 performance and the worst is that many of the few users have stated the performance is poor. Depth that is. I'm going to get the TF-900 and learn it. But I wish the Garrett was getting high enough marks to but it.

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker w/ BloodHound Antenna
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave45 said:
Has anyone used this setup good points - bad points
Thanks Dave

I have a predecessor to that detector, a Garrett ADS Deep Seeker with a Bloodhound attachment. It is a fine piece of equipment and I’ve been very pleased with it.

Pros: Lightweight, Assembles easily, Low battery drain, Highly sensitive, Rugged and durable, Reputable company with excellent service and support.

Cons: If there’s anything about my detector that’s a problem, it is that the front coil needs to be carried close to the ground for optimum results. The terrain that I encounter is often wooded, has a lot of briars and stickers that makes progress difficult. That said, I don’t know of another detector of this type that does not have this problem. I wouldn’t trade mine.

Johnny

Attachments

• Garrett1s.jpg
    Garrett1s.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 6,081

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a specific question, lets say that a number of coins were buried in a non-metal container. If the container disintegrated(very likely), would this attachment pick up the leftover coins(which probably shifted around a bit due to seasonal changes)?

I guess I want to know if they would give off a single strong signal or would they count as a lot of individual ones?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon Prime:
You have stated too many variables to give a simple answer. First a group of coins do "NOT" give the same reaction as a solid piece of metal of the same size. Second, The Garrett is an intermediate between the basic detector and a dedicated twin box detector. It will go down deeper than you wish to excavate heheh, I sort of peter out beynd 6 ft.sigh.

For dedicated deep detecting, the 900 is superior, but then, not many treasures are beyond 4 - 6 ft. The 900 will pick up an 8 Reale coin just below the surface, but I would never use it for that.

Incidentally, an 8 Real is 1 1/2 " in diameter of 900 fine silver.

The Garrett, and the various versions of the Deep seeker / eagle eye/ etc gives you a universal machine. Good from fine Gold, to deep caches.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Don Jose. It's my understanding that the eagle eye attachment won't pick up items that are smaller than a can of soda. I'm searching an area that is very tough to navigate on foot, let alone with a search coil, hence I'm thinking of buying this attachment to help me search. My target could be at 5-6 feet deep, and composed of gold coins that are probably loose in the soil by now.

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Thanks Don Jose. It's my understanding that the eagle eye attachment won't pick up items that are smaller than a can of soda. I'm searching an area that is very tough to navigate on foot, let alone with a search coil, hence I'm thinking of buying this attachment to help me search. My target could be at 5-6 feet deep, and composed of gold coins that are probably loose in the soil by now.

Prime

You can pick up a can of soda with the Eagle Eye. The trick is in your Sensitive setting. If you set it higher, more chances to detect small items, including coins,minerals and tiny stuff on soil. The Eagle Eye is a powerful instrument to goes deep.The owner's manual say;

Generally speaking. the Treasure Hound should be used when searching for metal odjects the size of a can, jar, or larger, and for elongated objects such as large metal pipes or tubing or culverts. In addition, small targets, such as coins can be found using the EagleEye pinpointing front searcoil.

Garret Metal Detectors
Page 1

Amona

"

Amona

Attachments

• Eagle eye.JPG
    Eagle eye.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 2,974
  • Eagle eye.JPG
    Eagle eye.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 2,809

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prime said:
I have a specific question, lets say that a number of coins were buried in a non-metal container. If the container disintegrated(very likely), would this attachment pick up the leftover coins(which probably shifted around a bit due to seasonal changes)?

I guess I want to know if they would give off a single strong signal or would they count as a lot of individual ones?

Keep in mind that the detector has both a transmitting and a receiving antenna. The antennae are very directional and under normal circumstances, the transmitted signal is lost. It is only when that lost signal is adequately reflected by a target that the detector receives it.

The greater the reflective surface of the target, the greater will be the received signal. For example, a roll of coins standing on end represents a smaller reflective surface than the same roll of coins lying on its side.

If the coins are spread out in an array, such as checkers on a checker board they will reflect a much greater signal so long as they are not dispersed too far apart. If they are close together or touching, so much the better. However, if the coins are spread out 2 feet apart, they would offer a much weaker reflected signal.

So if the coins are spread out, flat and tightly arranged, they would be more easily detected, so long as they aren’t spread out so much as to be sparsely distributed.

Johnny

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for your input, you've been very helpful. :thumbsup:

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Greetings all,

As a former marketing and advertising manager for Garrett Metal Detectors and having personally recovered many thousands of Civil War Artifacts and coins with Garrett equipment let me throw in my " 2 cents worth" here.

It was my great privilege and joy to know many of the top pro TH'ers in the U.S. and other countries as well during the 70's, 80's and 90's. I was also shown quite a few of their cache finds of gold and silver and heard the stories that went with these recoveries.

In all those experiences I NEVER heard of even one single cache of treasure that any of the pros I knew ever found with the type of equipment you are discussing on this thread... be it Garrett or any other brand. I personally never found a cache with this kind of equipment. What I DO know of in regard to these "2 box" or "depth multiplier" type units is that THOUSANDS of VERY DEEP holes have been dug by users following FALSE SIGNALS generated by these units and the users inability to discern what the detector was telling them. Virtually NO ONE wants to put in the several hundred hours of practice and the digging of a lot of unproductive deep holes that it takes to master one of these units.

What the pros knew and taught me was that NO MATTER HOW CAPABLE THE EQUIPMENT BEING USED IS TO ATTEMPT TO RECOVER TREASURE.... SUCCESS IS BASED ABOUT 85% ON THE SKILL OF THE OPERATOR.

Bottom line: Are YOU willing to "PAY THE PRICE" to learn how to find and recover treasure with a "depth multiplier" unit or would you be a lot happier finding shallow caches like Mason Jars full of coins at 18" or less with a good handheld detector with a 10 or 12" searchcoil? That has been my personal choice and it has paid off over and over again and saved me having to dig 10 or 12' holes just to discover that my equipment had picked up a tree root with a lot of moisture in it. :tongue3:

Best wishes to all and.... you folks that say that these units have worked great for you.... how about you show us the proof so the rest of us can believe too? I'm not being nasty here... I would like to learn from ANYONE who has mastered these units and has dug valuable caches with them.

AnOldPro

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning old pro: I have, but it wasn't all that deep. As for showing a picture , sorry, I didn't have a camera and the proceeds were quickly converted into Pesos and food, etc..

I did recover some 8 mule loads of 8 REALES from a mule train assault of the 1800's, but it was with a GARDNER with the 3 ft coil. it was only 4 ft deep on the bank of an arroyo in sand. I have posted pictures of my share here in TH..

The two box units definitely have their place, but then not very many deposits are over the depth that one man can dig and still get out of the hoie easily by himself. Most are simply arm depth for ease of recovery later, after all, if one doesn't know of it's existence, it is just as safe at 6" as 6 ft..

Also the deeper a hole is dug, the more impossible it is to hide it. the soil expands as it is excavated, so you have to dispose of the excess left over from the space occupied by the hidden materiel, as well as the excess soil itself. If you evenly spread it around so that it isn't noticeable, then the first rain will cause it to form a depression, so will time due to natural settling. etc. etc. Many treasures have been found by just such signs.

Then again there is the time factor, most caches looked for are the result of a robbery, just how much time would a robber have to dig a deep hole knowing that a pose etc. is hot after him?

The one main feature for a two box that I love, is the ability to search for for an object the size of your fist or larger, in an area of tons of small misc.metal or where a large area has to be covered. It also serves well in a heavily grassed zones, and is fast. It totally ignores bottle caps and pull tabs, hence is useless for individual coin searching, but perfect for the larger deposits.

YES! a two box is an important part of my equipment, but it is useless for a coin hunter in general..

Old Pro you are very correct in defining the usefulness of any detector relies mainly upon the operator. I will also say that unless you have a ground canceling factor machine, you will end up digging new stock watering dams everywhere. The newer 900 series types are excellent, the older Fisher, while an excellent machine, did not have it and was famous for empty holes due to various other reactions as you menitoned.

Don Jose de La Mancha

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Buried loot exists but most of the thousands of treasure yarns I have read
contain this: Robbers ride horseback to site X ; robbers rob site X of
enormous loot; posse chases robbers over hill and dale; robbers shoot it
out with posse; all but one robber is shot or hung; the robber left hides
until posse goes back to town; the only surviving robber buries enormous
loot and crawls away only to be killed by other robbers after drawing map
of hidy-hole; the only nice robber in the bunch tries to save his life to no
avail except the map; nice robber hunts the rest of his life for enormous loot
to no avail except eventual dementia. My question is simple: Did all robbers
of that era carry long-handled shovels around with them? lastleg

Johnny Cache

Greenie
Oct 18, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnOldPro said:
.... you folks that say that these units have worked great for you.... how about you show us the proof so the rest of us can believe too?

AnOldPro

That’s not likely to happen. You see, cache hunters are a bit different kind of people. Like a shadow in the dark, they tend to avoid notice.

Shadow.jpg

Coinshooters can joyfully announce to the world that they just dug up a rarity and forty-leven lawyers aren't going to come after them with both hands out. Coinshooting is a popular recreational activity for people from all walks of life, from octogenarians to children playing in the sand and they are all by definition, treasure hunters.

It is a fairly rare instance that a cache hunter would consider making a public announcement like Mel Fisher did when he discovered the Nuestra Senora de Atocha. That find was too large to keep under wraps and too many people were involved in the operation to ever begin to keep it secret.

http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i071024.html

The general idea is that everything belongs to somebody. Even lost things belong to their original owners, their heirs, their country of origin, their shipping companies, their insurance companies and their lawyers. While Spain isn’t likely to come after a coinshooter’s single doubloon that was picked up from a beach, the story changes remarkably when a cache is discovered.

Cache hunting requires an entirely different kind of individual who is intelligent enough to know when to ask questions and when to investigate while keeping his lip buttoned. He isn’t going to give you his research notes that he’s invested 10, 20, 30 or more years work to discover and he isn’t going to publish an article in the newspaper so every complacent and larcenous lawyer can read about it on Sunday morning.

SourPuss.jpg

So how about it, cache hunters? Tell AnOldPro what you’ve found and what you’re working on so he can believe that your detector works. :tongue3:

politicians.jpg

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
I'm just curious, if you do get a solid hit on a target at multiple feet ( 4 - 15) how the hell do you dig that if you don't have a buddy on your side who operates a backhoe?
Hells' bells' if 'n I got a bunch o' pull tabs at that depth I'd be angry!

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i dont belive that i payed 3000$ for this mule machine. :'( :'(

Attachments

• gti2500.JPG
    gti2500.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 3,865

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Well I hope you didn't pay $3000. That would be over two times the list price. :icon_scratch:

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
I agree, $3000 is quite a bit to pay for it. Maybe he meant 3k in Algerian currency. :icon_scratch:

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
can a 2 box be waterproofed to use in the water, or under the water? would it work if it were waterproofed?

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I have a Garrett and have gone to their home page and watched the videos for just about every model they make. Their videos are very informative on how to get the best use of your detector. If you can't view the video on-line, then I suggest contacting the company for a video/DVD and more information directly from them. It's better than being frustrated and upset over it.

Garrett is not for everyone, but I stand by my detector. Happy camper in the great Northwest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread