Noob here, got a question...

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok ive been lookin round and this seems to be the most active spot for prospecting. (nice site!)
heres the deal: about 40 yrs ago a couple of my relatives put about 50 to 75 gold coins in a roughly quart sized glass jar with a metal lid. im sure the metal has dissolved lol. it was buried about 4ft deep.

we recently rented an old whites metal detector for 25bux and took some shovels to the site which is at the edge of a farm field. im new to this so because we new within a 20ft x 20ft area where it would be, i assumed we could take off a foot or so at a time and scan with the metal detecor as we dug. unfortunately the ground was wetter than i thought and after bout 18in, everything we dug filled up with water lol. now from what i understand, even the best detector can only find a gold coin on average, about 18 inch max. correct me if im wrong. so i was thinkin bout renting or purchasing the system b, electroscope by thomas. ive heard good and bad things bout them. since we have it narrowed down to a small area, perhaps not extending the antennae all the way out, and being practically on top of the coins, we can narrow it down to 3ft by 3ft. so thats the jist of it. any ideas?

thx in advance.
supafly136

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Well welcome to Tnet! Glad you joined us! There are cache detectors that I am sure you could use as well. Many refer to them as two box detectors and they can search a much deeper area like you are talking about. The Fisher Gemini 3 is one of the 2 box detectors that would work for what you are talking about. I don't know what area you are in so I am not sure who the Fisher dealer would be close to you but I am sure you can check at Fisher labs online and find out. Best of luck to you and again, welcome to Tnet!

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey thx for the quick reply. i will chek those out. wasnt sure how well the scopes work. (hand held i mean)
and im in indiana by the way.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I know Dallas who is a dealer here on tnet has Fishers and could probably answer some of your questions regarding them but he is a long ways from you. He lives out here in Oregon like I do. Dallas is a great guy and very helpful. If you contact Fisher they should be able to help you find someone close to you if you decide you want to try it. I sure hope you are able to find the coins! That would be a great find indeed! Good luck!

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol thank you very much.
we r 90% sure its still there cuz its such a desolate area, and if we dug for day we would prolly find it. but that would destroy a perfect old time spot to practice and test on. i read a quote on the fisher site and it said the smallest metallic object you could find with it was the size of a melon. so im not sure a clump of maybe 70 coins would be equal to a melon sized object. but ill look further into their site and maybe research the other model u suggested. thx again man!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
having never actually used one I could not tell you for sure if it would locate a cache that size. Sure would be exciting to try it! Make sure someone has a camera so you can take me with ya lol

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hehehe, rgr that!

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Supafly, I have a question for you! What makes you so sure that your on the correct spot? Did you find a map to lead you to where your digging now? Or maybe information handed down through the family?
There is most always a marker, such as a rock near or on top the target. and most people wouldn't bury a jar 4 foot deep. A large treasure yes, but a jar not likely. unless you found something that said it was buried 4 foot, I would question it. That depth wouldn't allow for a quick recovery. A jar wouldn't likely be buried were a plow would pass over it. Better a fence line, Big rock. There would be a marker! I look forwards to your reply.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Don't know the price of that 'scope thing but before I bought one to use once
I would obtain a rental minelab explorer w/large searchcoil (WOT) or some other
top line detector w/big coil and go over area slowly with no discrimation and mark
with golf tees each metal signal. Get a probe with handle or make yourself one
to sink below water table under each indication. 20 X 20 isn't that big. Cache
hunters would drool to have a probable hit that small. If you are afraid to make
holes you might as well give up now.

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
monk: thx for the reply. the reason im digging where im at is because the relative that buried it bak then was there with me while i was digging lol. hes coo, and if its still there, were gonna split it. and yes it is buried along an old fence line which has recently been removed and the marker was a gate to enter the field and its gone too but was at 90 degree turn in road, thats how we know we are down to a very small area. we began digging but at bout 3 foot every thing filled up with water due to runoff from fields. no biggie, couple dry days and were good. he said he dug it with a post hole type tool and could go no deeper, then dropped the jar in hole and filled it up.

lastleg: thank you also for reply.
the cheap o detector i used wouldnt hit on anything in the area and i tried a nikle and a quarter and it could only hit it at about 5 inches so i just scanned as i dug, but got no hits. i know it was a piece of crap but as some of u mentioned ill be renting something better this time fo sho. and believe me im not afraid of diggin holes, did heavy commercial landscaping for 15 yrs lol.

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
This is great info for me ... I use to work on farm with we called a post bar, I often went 3-4 feet down then would work in circle motion to widen hole to put post in then hammer it down.

I now sorta understand how quick and easy it could have been to cache something especially if on old farm.

Which brings me to my question ... If I was doing fence work and the electric fence was turned off and I was hr or 2 into the work on long stretch of fence and I knealt down to fix staple and put knee in water at base of post and got shocked/zapped pretty good ... would that be any indication that a cache of metal coins could have been at the very bottom of that wet soaked post ?

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
My T2 will hit Mason jar lids at 16". Sounds like your on the right track. If they used post hole diggers then 4 ft would be about the right depth. As far as scrapping off layers, have you considered renting a Bobcat?

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Trying to be helpful here, sorry if I bore the old-timers. I will split up metal detectors into 3 groups:

1. The little ones you see everybody using at the beach. Mainly good for coins or jewelry dropped rather than deliberately buried.

2. Deep-seekers with a 15 to 18 inch diameter coil. Examples would be Garrett Master Hunter or White's Sierra Madre. Minelab also makes these. Good for buried treasures but may lack sensitivity to a single coin due to the large coil size. This is probably what you want for the present hunt.

4. Two-box units like the Gemini. Can easily get six feet deep but requires a large target. Think 2-pound coffee can or 5-gallon bucket lid. Your present target might or not set off one of these.

If I was going after this target (and spending other people's money) I'd get a Minelab with large aftermarket coil. Spending my own money I'd use my homemade PI with its 18-inch coil.

Chip V.

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eagle77: thx for the reply. yes we have access to an 873 bobcat but first want to locate it with a detector. if its still there i dont want to tear up the area cuz of the halo affect. want to find that halo first. perfect practice spot lol.

chipveres: thank u for reply
goin later today to local dealer that we rented cheap detector from initially. i guess its mostly a whites dealer but will see what he offers.

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
heres wat we are thinkin about using as soon as it dries up:
http://www.ditchwitch.com/model.asp?modid=77

at bottom of page it lists the frequencies. detects iron really well and ive read gold and iron put out a similar signal. what do ya think?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Remember if the jar with a metal lid was inserted 4' down with a post hole digger
it will take a deep seeking coil to detect and the lid will be rusted but still intact and will be what your detector will 'see'. You don't have to dig anything other than deep signals and a 5' steel probe w/handle will hit a target that big. Maybe some
cache hunter can provide a diagram or picture of a pro probe, I have one but can
not send pictures yet. Keep at it. Use no discrimanation!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
supafly136 said:
heres wat we are thinkin about using as soon as it dries up:
http://www.ditchwitch.com/model.asp?modid=77

at bottom of page it lists the frequencies. detects iron really well and ive read gold and iron put out a similar signal. what do ya think?

hmmmm I did not even know that ditchwitch made detectors. I had only used their trenchers....I saw your link and it said ditchwitch and I was like :o I wonder how well it would work?? Not familiar with them at all but if you could rent one it sure would be worth a try. :thumbsup:

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supafly136, Does he still have the post hole diggers that he used to bury the cache? I have dug many many fence post holes with mine but I do no remember ever going four feet down, typical is two to three feet.

The post hole diggers I use have two handles and rounded shovels on the ends that you jam into the ground. You have to open the top of the hole up some point, otherwise you cannot open the handles wide enough to remove any dirt. Four feet seems to be an extreme depth to go with manual post-hole diggers.

Another thing you could do at the site, if you have the area narrowed down enough, is to remove a bit of the top layer and look to see where the ground underneath is disturbed. You may find the remaining wood from fence posts or at least a round discolored area the size of a coffee can. Any of these should lead you to the jar.

Good Luck,

Scott (MI)

OP
OP
S

supafly136

May 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thx for the replys folks.

here in indiana the freeze line is about 42 inches. so when we pour concrete for posts we try to go at least that deep. and yes u do have to widen the top some to get the the arms pulled apart. i reserved the cable locator for tomorrow afternoon and we hope to rent a two box if they are available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread