Garrett Infinium is doing better than the Minelab Excalibur

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
I live around the great lakes and a lot of the hunters here have been switching from the minelab Excalibur to the Garrett Infinium . Now none of them are divers they just hunt the beach or wade surf hunt . They say the Infinium is better for them than the Excalibur and are makeing more finds good finds with the infinium . So it looks like i will be getting a infinium. I used one of theres and it is different but really gets the job done.. .................. But with the larger coil the shaft reallys wobbles a lot but they have been buying a shaft from a guy named reid off utube that they have been useing and with his shaft no wooble at all. :headbang:

Attachments

• jackhammer2.gif
    jackhammer2.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 3,417

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will get close to the same depth with an Excal and WOT coil, and you want have to deal with any iron......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
I think you will get close to the same depth with an Excal and WOT coil, and you want have to deal with any iron......

Granted the Infinium LS does a deep detecting job where the sand is very deep, but you also spend a lot of time digging the trash which can be better spent swinging for the gold. Even with reverse disc it can sound off on smaller iron and can mask out a gold ring. For water use you also have to buy the waterproof headphones. If you want to dig all targets with the Low-High tone this also includes the iron and you only have two tones, Low-High and High-Low.

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
My buddy & I air tested a small piece of gold(just under a gram) with his Minelab 1800, which is suppose to be for gold/other & my GTI 2500. We had to almost touch the coil on his, mine picked up at about 3-4 inches.
I'm staring to think the Minelab guys hype up Minelab, because they cost way more, so they "have to be better machines."
Ok, now before you Minelab folk start peaking out, I think all the top brands have pros & con's & most have advertising hype. Yahoo!

I know after much reading I'm going to be buying an Infinium, partly because of the huge cost difference, partly because of the great reviews & the compared overall experience others have had using different brands.

As many have said, digging all targets to get the good stuff is the best way. If its sand then enjoy the work out! Just think of the great service you are doing cleaning the beach from junk :laughing9:

Thanks Kando for your post, confirms my thoughts on the Infinium. :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gemhunter said:
My buddy & I air tested a small piece of gold(just under a gram) with his Minelab 1800, which is suppose to be for gold/other & my GTI 2500. We had to almost touch the coil on his, mine picked up at about 3-4 inches.
I'm staring to think the Minelab guys hype up Minelab, because they cost way more, so they "have to be better machines."
Ok, now before you Minelab folk start peaking out, I think all the top brands have pros & con's & most have advertising hype. Yahoo!

I know after much reading I'm going to be buying an Infinium, partly because of the huge cost difference, partly because of the great reviews & the compared overall experience others have had using different brands.

As many have said, digging all targets to get the good stuff is the best way. If its sand then enjoy the work out! Just think of the great service you are doing cleaning the beach from junk :laughing9:

Thanks Kando for your post, confirms my thoughts on the Infinium. :icon_thumright:

Everyone who knows Minelabs know they do not airtest well, what counts is how they perform in the real world, there they perform REALLY WELL :icon_thumright:......

I have recovered a tiny 1/2 gram 10K ladies pinky ring in wet sand, over 10 inches deep with my Excal, signal was solid in all directions.. I didn't dig a single piece of iron that day....or any other day, I leave the cleaning the beach of tiny iron pieces to others..... :wink:

gemhunter said:

ROFLMBO....There is a $156.45 difference between the two new.....It is to Minelab owner's advantage that you do buy something else........Leaves more gold for us... ;D

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
Yep those Minelabs suck. My Sovereign only hit this tiny wire gold ring at 9+ inches. I don't even know why I keep the damn things.

Attachments

• MGGoldRing.jpg
    MGGoldRing.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,143

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium LS Whites GMT Ace 250 Ace 100 Sunray Probe Garrett Probe
Wow, you you Minelab folks sure get yippy, I suppose if all detectors don't test well in the air, but work optimally with target in the ground, then that truly don't say much for them when I tested my buddies Minelab, compared to a Garret. lol

Calm down guys, you have your Minelabs,use them well, think I'll stay with Garrett & Whites thank you. :coffee2:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
gemhunter said:
Wow, you you Minelab folks sure get yippy, I suppose if all detectors don't test well in the air, but work optimally with target in the ground, then that truly don't say much for them when I tested my buddies Minelab, compared to a Garret. lol

Calm down guys, you have your Minelabs,use them well, think I'll stay with Garrett & Whites thank you. :coffee2:

I like my Garretts. And I can probably beat any Minelab users in an arm wrestle, and proud of it. It's amazing what some other machines read as junk and leave it for some who prefer to go the extra mile. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• a 2009 rings.jpg
    a 2009 rings.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 2,153
  • a 2009 rings.jpg
    a 2009 rings.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,269

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Gemhunter, naw not getting yippy just responding to blanket statements like yours about minelab hyping. After close to 30 years detecting I try not to pit one detector against another on the forums because things are not always as they seem, otherwise I would be posting these type of videos in response to your post and I just don't do that sorta thing.

gemhunter

Mar 11, 2006
BC Canada
Detector(s) used
Well crazyman, with all do respect, the video is in another language. I'm a Canadian who speaks English not Spanish!
From what I seen on the video your showing a Garrett detector of a different class than the Minelab you show, also the Minelab looks like their using a larger coil, maybe a 10 or 12in!

My GTI 2500 will pick the coin out no problem, even with 8in. coil! Not sure about the sea hunter.

It does look like you may be swinging the GTP 1350 too fast for the processor to keep up, I heard it beep on your first swing, but you need to slow down.

I do agree, we need to be rational people & get along.
As many have said before, the detector is only as good as the operator!

I'm always looking for way to improve my techniques for detecting. :read2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send all the over hyped, under performing Minelabs to me, I will be more then happy to pay the shipping and take them off your hands. :headbang:

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
No problem. Actually, it's not my video. I'm not trying to argue or say one is better than the other I was just trying to prove a point that everything is not as it seems sometimes and claiming Minelabs are hyped because of some air test is a bit silly. I don't hunt inside my house or for things floating in the air. If I were to go by lets say Wayne Schmidts extensive air tests with the Garrett 2500 using different size coils outside away from electrical interference and my Sovereign GT outside away from interference I find that my Sovereign beats the 2500 coil size for coil size and it does and that's no hype but what does that prove now , That Garretts are hyped?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though i am more a Minelab person than a Garrett person i still use both. And i agree that the coil on the Minelab was a bigger coil than on both Garrets. Now they showed both Garretts but never showed the Minelab they could have been useing a GPX-4500 Minelab as far as i could see????????????

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Keppy, It's not my video so anything is possible. I wasn't trying to prove one detector was deeper than the other. If I went by these type of posts comparing detectors using air tests and freshly buried targets I would be even crazier than I am trying to figure out what detector to buy. I was responding to a post talking about Minelab being hyped because of an air test and not if a certain Garrett is better than a certain Minelab. If I felt the need to prove that my GT air tests better than the Garrett I could and would do so and post it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
crazyman said:
Keppy, It's not my video so anything is possible. I wasn't trying to prove one detector was deeper than the other. If I went by these type of posts comparing detectors using air tests and freshly buried targets I would be even crazier than I am trying to figure out what detector to buy. I was responding to a post talking about Minelab being hyped because of an air test and not if a certain Garrett is better than a certain Minelab. If I felt the need to prove that my GT air tests better than the Garrett I could and would do so and post it.
I understand what you are saying............

Attachments

• gainf01.jpg
    gainf01.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 3,739
  • DSCN1578.jpg
    DSCN1578.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,128

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Actually the Minelab Sovereigns air test better than most. Here is a quick test I just did in my backyard on a silver dime and a tiny 14 kt. wire gold ring in discriminate mode. Notice the sensitivity is only at 50% or at 12:00 because of the electrical interference around my house. Gold ring was hitting almost 10 inches and the dime at almost 12 inches.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a newcomer to detectors and have found that even between models of the same brand with the same settings they differ in performance. Some are just hotter than others due to variances of electronics or gremlins as it were. It might be something different with the coil or a frequence difference that picks up a interference at the wrong time. Either way they aren't all the same and test to find which one is better is very difficult. :read2:

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Sandman, I guess I got lucky because my Elite air tests the same dime and ring the same distance as my GT. When I put my S-8 coil on and do the same test I'm able to run my sensitivity higher at 9:00 because of less interference and still hit the dime and ring almost the same distance as the 10 inch. Of course this is all moot as it means nothing when comparing detectors under real hunting conditions.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well my Excalibur air test at 10 inches and my GTI 1500 olny air test at almost 7 inches...... and my Sovereign at almost at 91/2 inches................... OH yes here is the sovereign wiggle........

Attachments

• wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,219
  • wiggle.gif
    wiggle.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 1,163

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Keppy said:
Well my Excalibur air test at 10 inches and my GTI 1500 olny air test at almost 7 inches...... and my Sovereign at almost at 91/2 inches................... OH yes here is the sovereign wiggle........

Pic of a wiggle? I thought it was a part from a person's anatomy from the movie Avatar...... :laughing7:

Attachments

28.9 KB · Views: 944

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread