What's new

Garrett probe changes the way I do coin-shooting

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
1,150
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I got the new Garrett Pro-Pointer probe a few weeks ago,
and it's worth its weight in gold.
It is sensitive to more than 2 inches, which makes it possible
to nail down the exact location of the coin even before you
start digging. Speeds up coin retrieval so I get more coins
per hour. :tongue3:

Check out the video:


 
I have just recently started coin-shooting, with some success.  I am looking into getting a pin-pointer but is it really neccesary?  What in your mind is the pros and cons of working with and without one?  Should I concentrate on practicing without one first to learn more or should I get one to help me acieve a higher rate of success?
 
OldSackofCoins said:
I have just recently started coin-shooting, with some success. I am looking into getting a pin-pointer but is it really neccesary? What in your mond is the pros and cons of working with and without one. Should I concentrate on practicing without one first to learn more or should I get one to help me acieve a higher rate of success?

OldSackofCoins,
no hurry. ;D

Learn your basic machine first.

" is it really neccesary", no, but...........................
Makes it a bit faster, will save time looking for that item
on the side of your plug.

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE
 
Personally, I don't see what all the hype is about. All you need is to criss cross your target to center it, keep your eye on the dead center of the coil (eccentric coil) as you move it away. I find my targets just fine, even using a 15" coil. Run a handful of dirt over your coil and it will tell you if there's anything in it. There are times when a probe would be nice to save a little time scratching through the dirt, but, for me it doesn't justify the cost. But, to each his own.
 
I own one and really like it.

Can't for the life of me figure out why it's wrapped against the rain... I put mine under running water in the sink and give it a good scrubbing after I hunt to clean it up.
 
Cache Crazy said:
Personally, I don't see what all the hype is about. All you need is to criss cross your target to center it, keep your eye on the dead center of the coil (eccentric coil) as you move it away. I find my targets just fine, even using a 15" coil. Run a handful of dirt over your coil and it will tell you if there's anything in it. There are times when a probe would be nice to save a little time scratching through the dirt, but, for me it doesn't justify the cost. But, to each his own.
I agree just another item to loose/forget or $$ for batteries
 
Cache Crazy said:
Personally, I don't see what all the hype is about. All you need is to criss cross your target to center it, keep your eye on the dead center of the coil (eccentric coil) as you move it away. I find my targets just fine, even using a 15" coil. Run a handful of dirt over your coil and it will tell you if there's anything in it. There are times when a probe would be nice to save a little time scratching through the dirt, but, for me it doesn't justify the cost. But, to each his own.

Yeah, you are right.
Technically, it is not difficult to use the pin-pointer on the detector to zero in on the target.
For me, though, with coins that have turned red or brown, and for deep holes, the specialized, hand-held pin-pointer saves a lot of time in retrieving the elusive coins.
MHO
 
UncleVinnys said:
Cache Crazy said:
Personally, I don't see what all the hype is about. All you need is to criss cross your target to center it, keep your eye on the dead center of the coil (eccentric coil) as you move it away. I find my targets just fine, even using a 15" coil. Run a handful of dirt over your coil and it will tell you if there's anything in it. There are times when a probe would be nice to save a little time scratching through the dirt, but, for me it doesn't justify the cost. But, to each his own.

Yeah, you are right.
Technically, it is not difficult to use the pin-pointer on the detector to zero in on the target.
For me, though, with coins that have turned red or brown, and for deep holes, the specialized, hand-held pin-pointer saves a lot of time in retrieving the elusive coins.
MHO
good point
 
Cache Crazy said:
Personally, I don't see what all the hype is about. All you need is to criss cross your target to center it, keep your eye on the dead center of the coil (eccentric coil) as you move it away. I find my targets just fine, even using a 15" coil. Run a handful of dirt over your coil and it will tell you if there's anything in it. There are times when a probe would be nice to save a little time scratching through the dirt, but, for me it doesn't justify the cost. But, to each his own.

I agree with this reply..........a pin-pointer is good to have because it can save you alot of time, and with machines like the Explorer, where the location will almost always be off no matter how practiced you are, it can make a day a more efficient one............but good habit is to learn and practice basic X'ing techniques with the coil in order to make the best attempt for accuracy.

When using the machine that I use, the cost is not solely justified in the probes ability to lead me accurately to the coin, I've done just as well running handfuls of dirt and am happy that I learned to do things that way incase one day I am without a probe..........what I like about my probe (Sunray) and see alot of justification for is that it becomes a second tool in determining what I am digging........you'll get a second confirmation of sorts because as well as you 've learned the coil's behavior and response to a target, you'll also learn the probe's, and it will cue you as to depth, size and repetiveness. I have a good idea of when to abort a dig based on how the probe is responding. There are probes of various quality and functionality, and considering the fact that the Sunray is working with the detector, I don't think there is a better tool. I started off for a long time without using one, but I don't think there's any Explorer user here in particular who would want to be without one.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom