Garrett Propointer 11 Problem

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a year old Propointer 11 that started acting up last fall. I would turn it on and the light would come on, but it would not detect a coin. I would repress the button again and it would work perfectly. I could live with two presses of the button, but then it was taking three or four to get it working. It was under warranty and I sent it in for repair. Garrett replaced it with a new pinpointer( great customer service)

I immediately tried this new pinpointer in the house and it worked with the first press of the button. Last week I took it out and it worked perfectly for about an hour and it started acting the same way. I am now "gun shy" and touch my digger before searching for my target in the ground. I have had four Propointers over the years and none of them ever did this. Anybody else had this problem? It is a monumental pain. I like the simplicity of the Propointer over the pointers with a menu system built into the on-off button.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I had a year old Propointer 11 that started acting up last fall. I would turn it on and the light would come on, but it would not detect a coin. I would repress the button again and it would work perfectly. I could live with two presses of the button, but then it was taking three or four to get it working. It was under warranty and I sent it in for repair. Garrett replaced it with a new pinpointer( great customer service)

I immediately tried this new pinpointer in the house and it worked with the first press of the button. Last week I took it out and it worked perfectly for about an hour and it started acting the same way. I am now "gun shy" and touch my digger before searching for my target in the ground. I have had four Propointers over the years and none of them ever did this. Anybody else had this problem? It is a monumental pain. I like the simplicity of the Propointer over the pointers with a menu system built into the on-off button.
One thing first, Garretts automatically puts on a brand new outer shell on their Propointer repairs. That new outer shell impresses customers, good idea on Garretts part. Those pointers with shiny new shells always suggests that Garretts replaced with a brand new pinpointer. You have to look at the serial number inside the battery compartment. Your board inside could the old problem pointer. Send it back. Write the serial number before you send it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing first, Garretts automatically puts on a brand new outer shell on their Propointer repairs. That new outer shell impresses customers, good idea on Garretts part. Those pointers with shiny new shells always suggests that Garretts replaced with a brand new pinpointer. You have to look at the serial number inside the battery compartment. Your board inside could the old problem pointer. Send it back. Write the serial number before you send it.
Wow, that makes sense. I thought that they had kept the original battery cap and replaced the entire probe. At any rate, they did not fix the pinpointer and now I have to spend another 8-9 bucks to ship it back. Thanks for the explaination.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that makes sense. I thought that they had kept the original battery cap and replaced the entire probe. At any rate, they did not fix the pinpointer and now I have to spend another 8-9 bucks to ship it back. Thanks for the explaination.
Could it possibly be a programming issue ?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Garrett pays for return shipping in these kinds of cases lots of times.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
You aren't possibly turning it on BEFORE you get it away from metal, are you? Or, putting iy down in the dirt before it completely turns on.

I find that if I pull it from my pouch and turn it on and stick it to the ground too quickly, it will tune to the metal object I'm trying to get and not sound off as I have tuned it to the object.

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, this pinpointer is defective. I now have to turn it on and off at least three time to get it to work. The exact same problem it was sent for repair originally. One of my first Propointers had the tip wore through and I repaired it and gave it to a friend I had sold a detector to. This was 5 years ago and it was two years old when I gave it to him. Seven years old and still working. I wish I could talk directly to the person who would be fixing the latest pinpointer. If it is not resolved fairly, I will not use their pinpointers again.

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decided to give Garrett one more try. After looking at my records, I had sent this same pinpointer in twice for this problem. I guess I am having a hard time remembering all of my dealings. At any rate, shipping was around 9 bucks each time and times that by three and will have the cost of the pinpointer and 27 bucks shipping it back.

I called Garrett customer service yesterday and a very nice lady sent me a shipping label and promised more extensive testing before returning it to me. Not a big deal, but I don't have 110-125 dollars growing on my apple tree. When I started detecting hand held pinpointers were absolute junk. Now I would be lost without one.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always used Garret pinpointers. I have two black ones, still going strong, but the Garrett carrot?, my third one failed today. The last time I sent one in for a repair, I went ahead and ordered a new one at the same time. Two carrots down, one left. Am looking around for a different brand to try. I had bought a Minelab Pro Find 35 some time back, really did not care for it much, stopped using it, still have it, just hanging up for now. Will look thru the pinpointer thread, and see what others have to say. Is Garrett going the way of Whites?

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had the PP1, the PP2, 2 Carrots and recently bought an MI-6. MI-6 wins hands down, no contest IMHO. The Garretts WORK OK, but the Carrots are cumbersome to use and all are unreliable, falsing with the slightest pressure on the tip. The MI-6 is more expensive, but the MI-4 can be had for the price of a Carrot. I’ll have to field test the MI-6 for a season but so far I don’t see a down side.

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had the PP1, the PP2, 2 Carrots and recently bought an MI-6. MI-6 wins hands down, no contest IMHO. The Garretts WORK OK, but the Carrots are cumbersome to use and all are unreliable, falsing with the slightest pressure on the tip. The MI-6 is more expensive, but the MI-4 can be had for the price of a Carrot. I’ll have to field test the MI-6 for a season but so far I don’t see a down side.
Thanks for the info.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not heard of a MI-6, MI is not the brand itself, is it?, or the pinpointer itself of a brand. Either way, I'll go to a site and look at pinpointers etc.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I'm on my third replacement and it still does not work right. I give up. I expected better from them.

OP
OP
R

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the pinpointer back from Garrett, but started using my Garrett Carrot. I use wired headphones and I cannot hear the speaker on the Carrot. I have no problem hearing the Propointer 11. I was told that any pinpointer that can be used under water, the speaker will be muffled as it is waterproff.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've not heard of a MI-6, MI is not the brand itself, is it?, or the pinpointer itself of a brand. Either way, I'll go to a site and look at pinpointers etc.
It's made by Deus-can be operated alone or through Bluetooth silent feature with the detector.
I have had mine now for a couple of years-80 hrs on a charge
Any levels of sensitivity
Over the 40+it starts to chatter/false in the soils as it's too sensitive.
Louder/vibration the closer to target.
(Only thing I wish it had was discrimination option) It would be so awesome
So it can be nail, nail, nail, button type thing coming out of the hole soils.

Minelab Pro Find 35-Better go find something else

Black Garrett one false issue
Sold the other one before it had an issue
The Garrett carrot no issues-use it for back up

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you are looking for a great pin pointer I highly recommend a Fisher F Pulse it does not pair up with detectors but its a great pin pointer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread