Garretts ACE vs. Whites Prizm

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Garretts ACE vs. White's Prizm

Responding to a thread on the White's forum, I posed a question for any comments and comparisons between the two model lines. I have been playing with a thought of getting a second machine and can't pay too much for it. Currently I have a White's XLT which I am very satisfied with.

I have read a lot about the ACE 250, here and note that so many are using it successfully and with great satisfaction. However, I then read the above mentioned post and realized that the Prizm line might be similar in features and all. Certainly, the White's Prizm II is the same price as the ACE 250, ($200). Possibly available for less after a rebate offer. The Prizm III is a little more expensive after a rebate and $300 at normal price.

So, if anyone has any experience, or opinions, I thought it might be fair to pose this question here as well. This way, I will get the broad range of opinions, balanced with the more focused opinions of other White's owners.

Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0
Re: Garretts ACE vs. White's Prizm

When I was looking for a second machine for the wife I checked out a Garrett Ace 250 at a local dealer. My main stick is a White's IDX Pro. The Ace was LOUD. I wound up getting a near new Prizm III on eBay for about $200 and it is closer in sound level to the IDX so I can swing either one with not much adjustment in my style of doing things. The Ace was just too different.

I gave the Prizm a short test in a local park this afternoon when it got cooler. Had to dodge a lot of people out on a Sunday afternoon, but managed to grab some clad and a toy car in an hour or so of wandering. Of the 3 quarters I dug, they all ID'ed right on as quarters. The nice thing about the Prizm is that it is lighter than the IDX - I have a sore elbow from golf (hit the ground more often than the ball) so it was nice to use a lighter machine. I think the Ace is about the same weight. But I could not live with the bong bong tones the Ace gives off.

I think the wife will be happy with the Prizm and I hope she will let me use it when I have elbow problems and don't want to heft the IDX Pro around.

- Bill

Re: Garretts ACE vs. White's Prizm

Hi Wmas 1960. !!

If I had to choose, I'd take Prizm. Prizm is much more simple to use, Besides Prizm's display is "more readable" than in ACE 250.
Garrett has tiny letters, and those squares... They make me mad, sometimes. ;D Too many of them.

I've got them both, Prizm V and ACE 250. I don't quiet know the difference beetwen Prizm V and Prizm III, but i would buy Prizm.

Best You can do Wmas, is to buy Prizm V. Otherwise, sooner or later, Your wife will tell You that You bought Her detector which is too weak...
Believe me, thats the way women do. ;D ;D ;D
First i had Polish detector called RF+, when I got myself Prizm V my wife took RF+. After three weeks, RF+ was to weak for Her.... :-\
So, I had to buy Her ACE 250. I could not afford buying another Prizm V... ;D

Pozdrawiam Matejko

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back