Gas Prices near you

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a combination of factors:

The price of crude dropped to an artificial low during the pandemic when travel restrictions cut the demand for fuel. Demand is returning, the price has risen, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has hit availability as various (mainly European) countries are no longer buying from them and seeking alternatives. Competition for a narrower choice of supply options inevitably pushes up the price.

The pound has fallen against the dollar and is currently at a low, further pushing up the cost of crude and wholesale prices for petrol. Wholesale and retail prices have in the past typically moved in tandem but refineries are now taking a bigger cut. Although the cost of producing wholesale petrol has fallen for five weeks in a row, the reductions are not being passed on. This is profiteering, leveraged by a reduction in refining capacity in Europe and the east coast of the US.

We have only six major refineries in Britain. In theory, the boom in refining demand should have helped them, but the oil price spike in March inflated their input costs. There’s also a considerable time-lag between any price drop at wholesale level and the effect on pump price for petrol, which is also dependent on the nature of supply contracts.

Although the government cut the duty on fuel by 5p per litre in March, it had almost no effect on pump prices and retailers are being accused of additional profiteering by pocketing the difference. That’s currently under investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).

Retailers, and especially supermarkets are to a large extent no longer bothering to compete as hard on pump price to attract customers as in previous years.

One other thing to note. On the current legislative plan, from 2030, the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned in the UK. The sale of some hybrid cars with auxiliary electric power will be allowed to continue until 2035. Whether or not that’s a workable plan remains to be seen but, although it’s improving all the while, we’re still quite a way off having the necessary infrastructure for recharging electric vehicles en masse.

(Note that I’m avoiding any political comment here).

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s a combination of factors:

The price of crude dropped to an artificial low during the pandemic when travel restrictions cut the demand for fuel. Demand is returning, the price has risen, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has hit availability as various (mainly European) countries are no longer buying from them and seeking alternatives. Competition for a narrower choice of supply options inevitably pushes up the price.

The pound has fallen against the dollar and is currently at a low, further pushing up the cost of crude and wholesale prices for petrol. Wholesale and retail prices have in the past typically moved in tandem but refineries are now taking a bigger cut. Although the cost of producing wholesale petrol has fallen for five weeks in a row, the reductions are not being passed on. This is profiteering, leveraged by a reduction in refining capacity in Europe and the east coast of the US.

We have only six major refineries in Britain. In theory, the boom in refining demand should have helped them, but the oil price spike in March inflated their input costs. There’s also a considerable time-lag between any price drop at wholesale level and the effect on pump price for petrol, which is also dependent on the nature of supply contracts.

Although the government cut the duty on fuel by 5p per litre in March, it had almost no effect on pump prices and retailers are being accused of additional profiteering by pocketing the difference. That’s currently under investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).

Retailers, and especially supermarkets are to a large extent no longer bothering to compete as hard on pump price to attract customers as in previous years.

One other thing to note. On the current legislative plan, from 2030, the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned in the UK. The sale of some hybrid cars with auxiliary electric power will be allowed to continue until 2035. Whether or not that’s a workable plan remains to be seen but, although it’s improving all the while, we’re still quite a way off having the necessary infrastructure for recharging electric vehicles en masse.

(Note that I’m avoiding any political comment here).
You sure give a great comment and details. Again THANKS Red Coat !!!

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere that next year if 15% of cars were electric the result of charging them would crash the grid in every metropolitan area of the US. We're not set up to charge that many vehicles.
It might crash the grid in Texas but I doubt that would ha
No one is against clean energy. Our country had, just a mere 2 years ago an enormous amount of natural gas. To the point they just burned it off at times. Exporting it to outher countries as well. Natural gas burns very clean with small emissions and cars and trucks can be easily converted to run on it. Many municipalities have been using it for decades. Just another source being ignored. I personally feel this rise in gas/diesel prices.has been contrived on purpose.
Natural gas is 90% methane and accounts for 29% of US greenhouse gas. "Natural gas" is not all natural. Much of the natural gas produced in the US is a result of fracking which contains toxic chemicals. And natural gas is a finite product just like oil. It is estimated that natural gas reserves will run out by the end of the century. :icon_study:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might crash the grid in Texas but I doubt that would ha

Natural gas is 90% methane and accounts for 29% of US greenhouse gas. "Natural gas" is not all natural. Much of the natural gas produced in the US is a result of fracking which contains toxic chemicals. And natural gas is a finite product just like oil. It is estimated that natural gas reserves will run out by the end of the century. :icon_study:
I remember being told in the 70s we,d be out of oil by 2000.Still more oil reserves in the U.S. than any country in the world so that,s that for that.Same thing for Natural gas. Electricity is not free,you don,t reach out and grab it out of thin air.Still have to produce it somehow and Solar and wind ain,t gonna cut it for supplying millions of electric vehicles along with the normal load for every day use.Absent some groundbreaking discovery in electrical storage or other means of energy oil and gas are the thing for the foreseeable future

mdc002

Jun 25, 2022
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep and half the Price you pay for the Vehicle will be to Install a Charging station at your Place and all over the Country.
then the Installers will also pretend not & charge extra to do this . the entire country would look like drive-in theaters without the Screens
View attachment 2030349

Including old Rt 66 and all the Long Ghost roads to Las Vegas
& Etc,
In short, Not Gonna Happen.

If I say more then "Empty Promises for votes " I'll be going Too Political Here
Battery technology is making some very rapid advances in storage capacity. Also, some of the new battery science will not require lithium but instead use ingredients that are far more plentiful and more environmentally friendly. I personally would not buy an all electric car until they can travel at least 450 miles on a single charge. I do plan to buy a hybrid that will get at least 40-45 MPG around town and 35-40 MPG on the highway. ( The new Ford Maverick hybrid)

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Battery technology is making some very rapid advances in storage capacity. Also, some of the new battery science will not require lithium but instead use ingredients that are far more plentiful and more environmentally friendly. I personally would not buy an all electric car until they can travel at least 450 miles on a single charge. I do plan to buy a hybrid that will get at least 40-45 MPG around town and 35-40 MPG on the highway. ( The new Ford Mavreick hybrid)
That still doesn,t address the generation problem and delivery of electricity to charging stations for all those electric cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What in the heck are Semi's going to do ?

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The purpose of this thread is to post gasoline prices,not to promote your green agenda and argue for electric vehicles.That subject cannot be discussed without delving into politics resulting in the thread being locked,like you did on the Lake Meade thread. If you wish to post politically motivated threads,pony up 20 bucks and become a Charter member and post away in the politics thread where we can debate and otherwise have at this subject like we can,t here.
Brilliant.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Treasure_Hunter

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Diesel here yesterday was $5.69

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread