gate closing weight or what???

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Me and my daughter went to a site near our house that a house used to be in a topographical map from 1908. The house is no longer there and I see no signs of a foundation to suggest where it used to sit. The owners of the property mowed the high grass in the area so I figured this is the best time to go and walk through this area. Had my daughter equipped with my first MD (the Radio Shack BH 2200) and I grabbed the Ace 250 and we headed over there. I started just detecting along the street and got a few buried cans so I moved along towards where she was which would have been the rear of the house (if I knew where it was) There are 5 trees there and I had her go between the two rearmost trees. Anyway I go over by here cause she has a signal which I could not find and figured it was trash (I know...dig them all) but since we were short on time I wanted to get some solid hits and can go after those other ones another time. I go a bit away from her and get a good hit. I start digging and up comes this funny shaped thing that I noticed had a metal plated rivetted to the back of it. It is broken in sections but it almost looks like it would have been arrowhead shape. This object is why I wrote in this section. My father-in-law thinks it was a weight that would close a gate automatically. Any ideas??? Come on Diving Doc and PBK!!! The metal plate on the back says "KING"

Searched a little bit more and came up with the license plate from 1950. Not the best condition but surprised it was still in one peice considering how bent it was. Also nearer to the street uncovered a pipe that was roughly 4 inches outside diameter and maybe 2 inches inside diameter. Not a sewer pipe but maybe a water main?? Should have taken pics but did not bring the camera. Might help determine where the house stood.

Anyway take a look at the pics and let me know what you think the object is next to the license plate.

Thanks

Funkman

the last pic is a couple of cap guns (parts) i found at another location. The whole gun is a newer one cause it has the orange plug in the end to show that it is a toy, the butt/handle part is from an old Roy Rogers cap gun from the 50's. It has the RR insignia towards the botom and it says "And Trigger" near the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.JPG
    IMG_0957.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 331
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
from PBK in another post
Not really. Is the item all metal or just the "King" tag on the back of it?

The item is made of metal. Probably cast iron since I stuck a magnet to it. The plate maybe of a different metal though. I ran the item under the detector and was getting different signals from foil up to coin range, but that could be due to its size.

Funkman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
okay guys...I've been thinking a little.....anyone smell the wood burning?? The object is made of cast iron and obviously pieces are broken off it or it was broiken off something. It is painted red on the one side and the nameplate that says "KING" is on the unpainted side. What popped into my head this morning was that maybe it was part of an old fire hydrant?? Would explain the red paint anyway.

Any thoughts??

Funkman

It was not found next to the street but was by a tree that was about 50 feet from the road. It could have been tossed there. That might explain also that pipe that I found in the ground. Could the fire hydrant have been taken down and the pipe buried? Just something to ponder.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very possible......or a broken piece of a cast iron woodstove...bottom being the tagged part...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread